Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: At $2.4 Million Dollars, HIB #9 Gets Four More Titles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,424

    Default At $2.4 Million Dollars, HIB #9 Gets Four More Titles

    Phoronix: At $2.4 Million Dollars, HIB #9 Gets Four More Titles

    There's just less than one week to go until the end of the Humble Indie Bundle 9 where you can pay what you want for a collection of cross-platform games, which already have pulled in $2.4 million dollars from 520 thousand gamers. Now there's four more games added to the bundle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2NTE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Glad to see A Virus Named TOM finally ported, I've had that one on my wishlist for ages while waiting for a port. Rocketbirds is the only other one that is new to a HIB at this point though, the other two are rehashes. Rocketbirds is lacking a Steam Linux version at the moment and unfortunately LIMBO is also still lacking on that front. I've been wanting to replay LIMBO recently to get the achievements, but it seems I'll have to keep waiting on that one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Rocketbirds is lacking a Steam Linux version at the moment and unfortunately LIMBO is also still lacking on that front.
    It's strange, because Limbo has had a Linux version right from the first time it appeared in Humble Bundles. I wonder why it doesn't appear in Steam.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I can't believe that Limbo is still a part of HIB after so many negative comments from many Linux users. I think that was above one year ago when I had to run a Mac version of Limbo, because i really didn't want to ran Windows version of Limbo on Linux.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    I can't believe that Limbo is still a part of HIB after so many negative comments from many Linux users. I think that was above one year ago when I had to run a Mac version of Limbo, because i really didn't want to ran Windows version of Limbo on Linux.
    It's still a part because it is an amazing game that most everyone seems to love. The Linux version works fine, it comes bundled in a Wine wrapper that works flawlessly on Linux without any messing around, or at least it did for me and my friends anyhow. The only issue I have is that I would like to play it on Steam for the added benefits that it provides. From what I gather reading up on the issue, it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux, so they decided to just wrap the game in Wine rather than strip out the audio bits and replace them with something like OpenAL.
    Last edited by IanS; 09-19-2013 at 05:03 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux
    Trine 2 uses same library, as I remember.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    It's still a part because it is an amazing game that most everyone seems to love. The Linux version works fine, it comes bundled in a Wine wrapper that works flawlessly on Linux without any messing around, or at least it did for me and my friends anyhow. The only issue I have is that I would like to play it on Steam for the added benefits that it provides. From what I gather reading up on the issue, it comes down to them using a 3rd party sound library that I guess they can't (or won't) port to Linux, so they decided to just wrap the game in Wine rather than strip out the audio bits and replace them with something like OpenAL.
    And this is why, just like Dear Ester, it wasn't allowed on the Linux Steam store. The difference being that Dear Ester finally made a native port and are currently steamifying it.

    By not making it native they are putting themselves out of the most visible portion of Linux gaming not to mention all of the people like myself that refuse to buy a game that doesn't have a native port.

    If you are going to use Wine we may as well pirate the Windows version instead of pay for a kludged together "port" version.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Talking about shitty ports?

    Mark of the ninja. The game automatically assumes that the user has an xbox controller, and thus doesn't work properly with a regular gamepad, and doesn't allow to configure the gamepad controls in any way. This totally ruined the game for me.

    Hello. If you port your game to Linux, don't assume the user is using an xbox controller! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •