Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
    http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/167491

"You should continue using AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta for Linux. We mistakenly posted a Linux AMD Catalyst 13.9 driver, which was older than the AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta driver. Linux users can expect a new Linux driver coming in Oct, 2013"
    I was close to the decision to sell my APU and get an Intel/nVidia rig. No joke.
    Well ... one more chance.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      Intel is decent on sw-side, normal on hw-side, but insane on price;
      Nvidia is normal on hw, normal on price, but a scumbag with sw (however well-made it may be),
      AMD is decent on hw, decent on price, but could use more manpower on sw...
      i didn't want to say it at first, with recent great DPM code and all, but make that "as much an idiot with sw as Nvidia is a scumbag and Intel is a greedy fuck" :/
      even if it were "stable" and updated release it would suck, but it's just literally is a dev's fart.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
        tremendous progress on FOSS AMD drivers in 3.11, but AMD really needs to get their software shit straight:
        Intel is decent on sw-side, normal on hw-side, but insane on price;
        Nvidia is normal on hw, normal on price, but a scumbag with sw (however well-made it may be),
        AMD is decent on hw, decent on price, but could use more manpower on sw.

there is just no vendor that delivers all the goodies, so i could recommend it to peoples.
        Note quite:
        Intel: best open source drivers, relatively low hw performance, most expensive.
        Nvidia: best (closed source) drivers, worst open source drivers, acceptable (but high) price, overall best hw performance
        AMD: mediocre closed source drivers, acceptable open source drivers, good hw performance, best price

While I myself have been using AMD for the past few years (the newest nvidia GPU I got was a 8400GS), I'd still recommend nvidia for gamers and intel for laptops. AMD is ok if you've got an APU on the open source drivers and don't intend to do anything too intensive.

On Windows, drivers aren't really much of an issue, so AMD becomes easier to recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          On Windows, drivers aren't really much of an issue, so AMD becomes easier to recommend.
          Still hard to recommend. The group of people not having a list of cons against AMD is steadily shrinking on CPU and GPU side. The disabiliy of realeasing usable drivers making me think the management is retarded. People in the forums do really recommend using 13.8 beta drivers - i am speechless - they recommend drivers filled with bugs including a huge memory leak?! This isn't even funny.
          Why the hell should i spent money and electricty on a GPU i cannot use because of heavy bugs (catalyst) or not existent performance (FOSS)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Why the hell should i spent money and electricty on a GPU i cannot use because of heavy bugs (catalyst) or not existent performance (FOSS)?
            If you don't care, buy nvidia and be happy. If you care, you give amd money and they will give it to their full time employees that are developing an open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              I wonder if this release of catalyst ACTUALLY WORKS on hybrid graphics systems. after my last experience with it.. grrrrr pretty hopeless last time I tried it.
              I use Dual Graphics (7660G + 7670M) and can confirm I've had no problem with these drivers. Can't vouch for how it would react on an Intel + AMD hybrid setup though...

Comment

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
                http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/167491

"You should continue using AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta for Linux. We mistakenly posted a Linux AMD Catalyst 13.9 driver, which was older than the AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta driver. Linux users can expect a new Linux driver coming in Oct, 2013"
                fucken AMD

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
                  No support for HD4670M?!
                  Only upto HD5000 just google the realese notes for the driver and you will see all supported hardware.

Comment

Working...
                  X