Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 13.9 Linux Graphics Driver Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 13.9 Linux Graphics Driver Released

AMD has officially released Catalyst 13.9 for Linux today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No support for HD4670M?!

Comment

FINALLY, this better fix all the issues I got in the last beta (rendering issues in kwin, completely random kernel panics when desktop is about to display, crossfire causing kernel panics, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
        No support for HD4670M?!
        Are you joking or have you been living in a cave for the last year and a half?

Comment

I wonder if this release of catalyst ACTUALLY WORKS on hybrid graphics systems. after my last experience with it.. grrrrr pretty hopeless last time I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
            I wonder if this release of catalyst ACTUALLY WORKS on hybrid graphics systems. after my last experience with it.. grrrrr pretty hopeless last time I tried it.
            It's working under hybrid for a long time. But I will admit it's been really difficult to install with kernel errors, Xorg errors and intel driver errors. It only works on a very specific setup of version numbers.

Also I really hope it fixes Vsync properly. They have applied Vsync patches before which have significantly improved the situation but there is still minor tearing. I'm going to be trying it out aas soon as I get home tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Fedora 18 + Catalyst 13.4 + HD6870 is the only time it worked for me ever. but damn thing started crashing on Steam launch in Fedora 19 + beta 13.6/8 :\
              With this release... TOO-FUCKING-LATE, kernel-3.11 with Radeon DPM just released, so to hell with this piece of shit !

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                Fedora 18 + Catalyst 13.4 + HD6870 is the only time it worked for me ever. but damn thing started crashing on Steam launch in Fedora 19 + beta 13.6/8 :\
                With this release... TOO-FUCKING-LATE, kernel-3.11 with Radeon DPM just released, so to hell with this piece of shit !
                That could either be a case of bad configuration or the card itself is defective (unless it works fine using another set of drivers or another OS). You should not be getting those issues for any reason.

As for me, the new beta drivers (so far) fixed the issue with my random kernel panics, but crossfire seemed to have stopped working altogether and I'm still getting render glitches in kwin. At this point I might just switch to the open source drivers, since at this point the catalyst drivers aren't really offering me anything I want aside from mildly better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  That could either be a case of bad configuration or the card itself is defective (unless it works fine using another set of drivers or another OS). You should not be getting those issues for any reason.
                  ...or that could be, as i said, the case of Catalyst being a glitchy piece of shit, which is confirmed on both Steam and AMD official forums.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  As for me, the new beta drivers (so far) fixed the issue with my random kernel panics, but crossfire seemed to have stopped working altogether and I'm still getting render glitches in kwin. At this point I might just switch to the open source drivers, since at this point the catalyst drivers aren't really offering me anything I want aside from mildly better performance.
                  tremendous progress on FOSS AMD drivers in 3.11, but AMD really needs to get their software shit straight:
                  Intel is decent on sw-side, normal on hw-side, but insane on price;
                  Nvidia is normal on hw, normal on price, but a scumbag with sw (however well-made it may be),
                  AMD is decent on hw, decent on price, but could use more manpower on sw.

there is just no vendor that delivers all the goodies, so i could recommend it to peoples.

Comment

"You should continue using AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta for Linux. We mistakenly posted a Linux AMD Catalyst 13.9 driver, which was older than the AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta driver. Linux users can expect a new Linux driver coming in Oct, 2013"

Comment

Working...
                    X