Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 14.1 Goes Into Beta, Brings New Packages

Phoronix: Slackware 14.1 Goes Into Beta, Brings New Packages

The first beta of the unexpected Slackware 14.1 Linux distribution is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Mesa version is sadly at 9.1.6 rather than 9.2.0 for having the latest and greatest open-source graphics drivers.
    Slackware aims at stability. From the Mesa release notes:
    Mesa 9.2 is a new development release. People who are concerned with stability and reliability should stick with a previous release or wait for Mesa 9.2.1.

Comment

I would like to add that Slackware is now shipping Firefox ESR and Thunderbird ESR, which are "long" term support versions. They downgraded back some months ago to this versions (I've lost the in-browser PDF reader when going back to Firefox 17 ESR).

I'm happily running slackware-current since a few months, this is the most stable system I've used. Packages aren't updated to major versions, and you may have to struggle a bit with slackbuilds, but at least your system doesn't get broken at every update.

Comment

Originally posted by Zplay View Post
        I would like to add that Slackware is now shipping Firefox ESR and Thunderbird ESR, which are "long" term support versions. They downgraded back some months ago to this versions (I've lost the in-browser PDF reader when going back to Firefox 17 ESR).

I'm happily running slackware-current since a few months, this is the most stable system I've used. Packages aren't updated to major versions, and you may have to struggle a bit with slackbuilds, but at least your system doesn't get broken at every update.
        Wasn't that the version Screwy Squirrel Monkeys could crack on the GaT0R network.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Slackware aims at stability.
          That would explain why they haven't adopted systemd yet.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            That would explain why they haven't adopted systemd yet.
            ... and if they ever do, my next OS won't be Linux based (I could also use FreeBSD by now on this hardware but I still need Windows for games). The day I can't edit plain text boot scripts and grep logs (while booted with any damned media) is the day I might as well switch brands of dog food, if I have to eat someone else's. Most of the programs I use all have Windows ports now. I'm done caring about philosophy, and it's getting harder and harder to have things my way in a Linux environment anyway. (Slackware is still sane, so my whinging is premature, but there's going to come a point in time where they will have to conform because software that people want to use will require it.)

It's already a workaround to get some stuff to compile on Slackware. I have to do stupid things like put pus audio headers in place for some things (then remove them immediately after because I don't want any other builds seeing pulse)

I already take it as an ominous sign to see Grub 2 in the "a" category, of non optional packages. Of course it still is optional (can deliberately deselect it) and LILO is still a choice but for how much longer? I disliked Grub, but I can work with it (had to, on redhat based servers and stuff). Grub 2 just pisses me off, though really, it's more the distributors that are responsible for that. It still tastes like a shit sandwich to me though.

Comment

If they ever need to add systemd because of dependencies, I trust Pat Volkerding will add it in the saner possible way. According to the Systemd myth debunking page, it's supposed to be rather modular, so hopefully it's possible to use just what's needed by the dependencies without setting up the whole stuff.
              It would nice, though, if user space software offered at least systemd dependencies as a compile time option and not making it mandatory. As indeed, seen from the Slackware POV, it's a bit difficult to see what's actually solved by systemd and what advantages it brings.

Anyway, I've been running Slackware since about 10 years, and that's really a nice, quite stable distro. The packages may not be bleeding edge, but they are recent enough, and for the adventurous, there are several repositories with newer packages to test. I personaly compile my own kernel and graphic stack (git libdrm, mesa and xf86-video-ati) and it works like a charm. And since the packages do not deal with dependencies, you can do that without hassle.

Comment

Happy English grammar helper tip of the day for our English-as-not-your-first-language friends;

since = <specific time>
                for = <general time-frame>

I've been running Slackware since about 10 years
                I've been running Slackware for about 10 years

I'm happily running slackware-current since a few months
                I'm happily running slackware-current for a few months

Better yet;

I have been happily running slackware-current for a few months

I've noticed 'since' used quite a lot. Not sure why, just trying to help out a bit for those who would like to speak better generic English*

Eins, zwei, drei, PROST!
                Last edited by stiiixy; 19 September 2013, 08:52 AM.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
                  According to the Systemd myth debunking page, it's supposed to be rather modular, so hopefully it's possible to use just what's needed by the dependencies without setting up the whole stuff.
                  This is just a fake, so that they can tell people "Hey, just use that part" and once you do they make the part you use dependent on systemd. See Gnome and logind, which suddenly has systemd as hard dependency (funnily in the same timeframe as Ubuntu started to use logind, what a coincidence).
                  If Slackware is ever forced to use systemd they have demolished the oldest existing Linux distro. In that case Linux is officially dead for me and I will switch to something with sane developers.

Comment

I've always liked Slackware becuase it used less init file, /etc/sysconfig, /etc/defaults (and so on, and on, and on) voodoo than do Debian and RH derived distros. With Slackware man was a man and a config file was a config file.

That said, I've been living in OpenSuSE land for a while.

Does anyone know whether AMD or NV proprietary driver installers play nice on Slackware?

TIA!

Comment

Working...
                    X