Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium Ported To Wayland, Now Working

Phoronix: Chromium Ported To Wayland, Now Working

Good Wayland news keeps coming! One day after GNOME 3.10 got aligned for good Wayland support, Intel has announced Ozone-Wayland as a way in which the Chromium web-browser now works on Wayland. Besides Chrome, the Content Shell works on Wayland too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chrome already flies. And with the upcoming switch to Google's Aura window system and Wayland support coming, it will only get faster and faster.

Some more info about Ozone can be found here: http://www.chromium.org/developers/d...ocuments/ozone - also mentions Google is working with Intel on this, so it's not just a hobby project from some Intel guy. Also, Google wants to make it easy to support other platforms like Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Also, Google wants to make it easy to support other platforms like Mir.
      We don't really need more fragmentation. For the good of Linux I hope MIR dies.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Google uses a customized variant of Ubuntu internally for their office PCs so it's no surprise that Mir will be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          +1

My ultimate hope is that both Google & Canonical see the benefits of unifying efforts behind a platform-agnostic display server, and eventually port their systems over to Wayland.. that may not be too realistic, but a man can hope.

Comment

It's pretty amazing to see Wayland coming together after following its developement for over two years... I wonder if the PPAPI Flash Player works with this and if Chrome OS is going to adapt Wayland in the future (it could help with ARM graphics support).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              It's pretty amazing to see Wayland coming together after following its developement for over two years... I wonder if the PPAPI Flash Player works with this and if Chrome OS is going to adapt Wayland in the future (it could help with ARM graphics support).
              Google would be stupid not to adopt Wayland as their underlying display server for Chrome OS. And I don't believe anyone at Google is dumb.

Comment

Awesome, now we'll have a major browser running natively on Wayland when the DE's with Wayland support are first shipped.

Comment

Firefox

Firefox support is under the way.
                  It is in progress of being ported to Gtk 3.
                  RESOLVED (stransky) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2020-05-07.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Firefox support is under the way.
                    It is in progress of being ported to Gtk 3.
                    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699
                    Just what I was about to ask about.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X