Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenZFS Launches To Promote Open-Source ZFS

Hybrid View

Default OpenZFS Launches To Promote Open-Source ZFS

Phoronix: OpenZFS Launches To Promote Open-Source ZFS

OpenZFS has outed themselves today as the "truly open-source successor to the ZFS project", the popular and highly-advanced file-system designed for Solaris during the Sun Microsystems days. OpenZFS is designed to promote the file-system on various operating systems and for allowing developers and stakeholders to better collaborate over open-source ZFS activities...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2NDE

We are in #openzfs on freenode. Feel free to come by with questions.

What is freenode?

I am a bit confused about this. I have reread the article.

It's an irc server.

How to connect it?

I connected on the one that comes with linuxmint and added the group but there is no such thing on this server.

Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    How to connect it?

I connected on the one that comes with linuxmint and added the group but there is no such thing on this server.
    http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml

Is there a rewrite under GPL planned ? If it is not going to GPL, it does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dibal View Post
    Is there a rewrite under GPL planned ? If it is not going to GPL, it does not matter.
    Out of genuine curiosity... Why?

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    Out of genuine curiosity... Why?
    I don't think GPL is necessary, but it's difficult to see the project gaining too much widespread support if it can't be included upstream in linux. It will just be for those people comfortable with deeply modifying their own OS away from distro defaults, which is a fairly small segment of the overall userbase. Although I'm not sure ZFS is even particularly interested in supporting random desktop users, so maybe they don't view that as a problem.

I've read the rhetoric on how great ZOL is and all that, but trusting something as important as the filesystem implementation to out-of-tree patches just seems fundamentally wrong. I would very much like to see this re-licensed under a GPL-compatible license.

I use a parity RAID scheme for redundancy, but I don't have true back-up media. I'm not gonna fuck around with out-of-tree filesystems.