No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell 3.10 Is Ready To Shine On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a pretty happy KDE user now, but I've used Gnome Shell for over a year before that. While KDE has some nice functionality I wish Gnome would take note of, it's also very cluttered and not as user-friendly as Gnome, IMO. Gnome's designs are pretty, and basic, which is what attracted me to it in the beginning (though ultimately, KWin's performance and some of KDE's customization won me over).

Here's a good write up of Gnome 3.10's Client Side Decorations from The World of Gnome folks: http://worldofgnome.org/csds-came-to...in-gnome-3-10/

Comment

Really looking forward to Wayland.
      But its too bad XWayland is still not in X.org.
      And too bad Debian (and Ubuntu) carries old version of Wayland.

Hopefully Firefox is soon ported to Gtk 3, its in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Why should it be? Once 3.10 moves into [extra] repo you simply update your system, that's it. You'll have the wayland package installed already anyway, because gtk3 and mesa pull it as a dependency.
        Considering that Fedora has included patches in things as integral as GTK in past releases, there's a good possibility we'll have to patch something in order to get Mutter and the Shell running on Wayland. Arch only includes vanilla packages, which is usually a good thing, but Fedora's tight integration with GNOME and JHBuild sometimes makes it difficult for GNOME devs on Fedora to realize what's missing elsewhere.

Of course, these issues are usually fixed sooner or later, but there's enough work going into getting it working seamlessly on Fedora, which won't even be complete until year's end. So I'm looking forward to a little grief, with hopes that it's as much of a breeze as you've said. No doubt, the wiki will have a great deal of instruction on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Really looking forward to Wayland.
          But its too bad XWayland is still not in X.org.
          And too bad Debian (and Ubuntu) carries old version of Wayland.

Hopefully Firefox is soon ported to Gtk 3, its in progress.
          You forgot to add that it's too bad that Gnome depends on systemd now and that effectively wipes out many distros, unless you want to manually install your init system and risk breakage, and all non-Linux OS's are excluded now too.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            You forgot to add that it's too bad that Gnome depends on systemd now and that effectively wipes out many distros, unless you want to manually install your init system and risk breakage, and all non-Linux OS's are excluded now too.
            Then it is a distribution problem, not upstream and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              Then it is a distribution problem, not upstream and you know it.
              If it's true gnome depends on systemd then it's problem for many users.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                As I understood it, Gnome actually depending on systemd is just a temporary glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Would you explain what you don't like about rpm/yum?
                  well it's been a while since I used Fedora. however when I did there were several problems. packages used to break too frequently (dependency problems). upgrading fedora to new versions was a pain since you had to reinstall from scratch every time. and there just weren't enough packages to begin with - I had to manually build several tools I used at the time. all these problems didn't exist on Debian and Ubuntu. however I don't like the direction Ubuntu is taking lately what with Mir, Amazon etc so I'm looking for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                    upgrading fedora to new versions was a pain since you had to reinstall from scratch every time. and there just weren't enough packages to begin with - I had to manually build several tools I used at the time. all these problems didn't exist on Debian and Ubuntu. however I don't like the direction Ubuntu is taking lately what with Mir, Amazon etc so I'm looking for a replacement.
                    Upgrading without reinstalling is now actually both possible and simple in Fedora (since a few releases back).
                    And I have yet to find a package that I used in Ubuntu that is not available in Fedora.
                    Maybe you should give Feora a try again

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      This is not true now but it might be in the future. Brcause doing anything other than systemd is a waste of time. When Debian have it packaged there is no reason to look back. Sure that means Gnome goes byebye on non-linux setups and non-sane linux distributions. That is hardly a loss.

If Gnome needs systemd for any kind of feature during 3.12, I hope they are brave enough to just do it. Better soon than later. The same goes for depending on a kdbus enabled kernel, when that hopefully happens some times soon.
                      So you actually want Gnome to loose even more users than they already have with the switch to Gnome 3? And will you be the one to explain to Debian users how to switch their systems from SystemV to systemd (I guess you know that packaging something and having it as default is not the same)?
                      If something depends on a solution that is forced into the market (read: behaves like cancer) you can be pretty sure that it will have a serious loose of userbase, something which is not good for any open source project.

Comment

Working...
                      X