Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oVirt 3.3 Can Better Compete With VMware vSphere

Phoronix: oVirt 3.3 Can Better Compete With VMware vSphere

OVirt 3.3 was released today as an open-source KVM virtualization management application targeting data centers as an open-source alternative to VMware's proprietary vSphere product. The oVirt 3.3 release pulls in many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use proxmox as a hypervisor but im interested in other software as well. Not to mention that recently proxmox added an annoying popup reminding me to pay them for a subscription. The neat thing about this though is that if I want debian I can use proxmox but if I want redhat/centos I can go with ovirt. Does anyone else out there have experience with proxmox and oVirt? Can you comment as to why one was better for you than the other or what one excels at vs. the other?

Comment

Just to clarify (for others), proxmox, like oVirt can be used to *manage* a hypervisor environment (neither is a hypervisor, though proxmox could be viewed as a hypervisor platform plus mgmt). Proxmox has more features, and maybe oVirt could have those features, but maybe that's not the goal (?).

IMHO, if you want something truly free... I'd keep looking at oVirt. If you are looking for more and want "free", I'd look at the progress on OpenStack. If pseudo free is ok, then certainly consider Proxmox, CloudStack, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        Just to clarify (for others), proxmox, like oVirt can be used to *manage* a hypervisor environment (neither is a hypervisor, though proxmox could be viewed as a hypervisor platform plus mgmt). Proxmox has more features, and maybe oVirt could have those features, but maybe that's not the goal (?).

IMHO, if you want something truly free... I'd keep looking at oVirt. If you are looking for more and want "free", I'd look at the progress on OpenStack. If pseudo free is ok, then certainly consider Proxmox, CloudStack, etc.
        Thank you for the reply, yes I suppose I should be more specific about what proxmox is, the proxmox team calls proxmox a "Virtual Environment" although it is usually referred to as a hypervisor by everyone else.

Find out what's better than KVM or OpenVZ. It's Proxmox. And, it combines both technologies into the ultimate hypervisor.

Does anyone could please fill the following specs for PVE 1.8 in comparaison to other hypervisors ? Citrix XenServer 5.6.1 Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V R2 Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 2.2 VMware vSphere 4.1 Proxmox 1.8 Bare-metal hypervisor Yes Yes Yes Yes vCPUs per...

I am familiar with and have setup openstack but its an overkill for what im looking for. I should probably setup oVirt and just give it a try. Might be the best way for me to decide if I should switch or not.
        Last edited by philip550c; 18 September 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

The noVNC proxied to a browser window is my favorite new feature going from 3.2 -> 3.3. I have had to tunnel vnc over to ssh to the right port and it was a pain.

The new native glusterfs support looks nice, but it looks like I have to wait until it is backported to RHEL 6.5

Comment

Working...
          X