Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Pro Linux Performance Doubles With Driver Upgrades

Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro Linux Performance Doubles With Driver Upgrades

Last week I ran a System76 Galago UltraPro Preview with some benchmark results and a special article looking at the Intel Iris Pro 5200, the Haswell graphics cores with 128MB of dedicated video memory stacked onto the die itself. Those tests were done remotely but now with having a System76 Galago UltraPro ultrabook review sample in the labs, here are some fresh tests looking at the very latest state of Haswell Iris Pro graphics under Linux. The benchmarks cover the state of Ubuntu 13.04 going through the latest open-source Linux graphics driver code with the yet-to-be-released Mesa 9.3 and the Linux 3.12 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about some source engine benchmarks? Pretty please with sugar on top and ice cream in the middle ?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      How about some source engine benchmarks? Pretty please with sugar on top and ice cream in the middle ?
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Other distros please MANJARO SABAYON and SUSE

WE VOTED

We did like MANJARO - Arch - SABAYON - Gentoo -and SUSE - rpms - to be tested with Ubuntu - debs -

As at Imagine is said ...

I hope someday you'll join us ...

Comment

Michael,

I don't play any of these games so am unfamiliar with their needs. Could you include a scale that indicates how much use, in your view, each game/benchmark makes of vertex, tessellation, fragment, pixel and texture processing (I suppose making their values relative to the latest unigine benchmark)? Perhaps you could put a call out to those to your readers to do this if you don't have time?

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
          WE VOTED

We did like MANJARO - Arch - SABAYON - Gentoo -and SUSE - rpms - to be tested with Ubuntu - debs -

As at Imagine is said ...

I hope someday you'll join us ...
          Wasn't fedora 2nd or third?
          Last edited by liam; 16 September 2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

how's the keyboard on this laptop? So far a lot of reviews of it say that its pretty much unusable. Any comment?

Comment

I don't play any PC games but I'm interested how the eDRAM performs as an L4 cache for the CPU. At least that's what I've read. I haven't read any tests.

For the final review please do power consumption tests. The other major improvement of Haswell is the lower power consumption of the mobile chips so it's worth verifying Intel's claims. Also, does anyone know anything about Windows 8's task coalescing in order to have the CPU go into the new very low power active state more often? It's talked about here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/t...4500u-tested/3 . Can the Linux CPU scheduler something similar so Haswell can enter this new lower power state more often?

I also want to know how bad the keyboard is.

Comment

Throttling on battery?

Hi,
                I read here, that a similar clevo machine throttles heavily it's CPU and GPU. Does System76 Galago throttle when unplugged too? If yes, could you also include a benchmark comparing plugged vs unplugged GPU performance when testing the notebook?

Comment

Well clearly the edram is not properly used. Intel folks, is it supposed to be working?

Comment

Originally posted by semhustej View Post
                    Hi,
                    I read here, that a similar clevo machine throttles heavily it's CPU and GPU. Does System76 Galago throttle when unplugged too? If yes, could you also include a benchmark comparing plugged vs unplugged GPU performance when testing the notebook?

The kernel is never going to enable something stupid like that by default. It's more efficient to run on high and then drop into an idle state that that to run longer at a lower frequency before dropping into idle.

The throttling just protects you from piece of junk applications from running down your battery at full speed. Yes I'm looking at you adobe flash. Assuming all of your programs are well-behaved not throttling give you better battery life.

Ubuntu doesn't do it by default either. If you feel that you must have it, then you can install the jupiter applet that will manipulate various power features by defined modes based on power supply or user selection.

Comment

Working...
                    X