DNF Package Manager Yum-Replacement Moves Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frign View Post
    Who else read "Duke Nukem Forever" at first?
    I thought "Do Not Fork" first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Its more of a "Work In Progress" name. Its "official" in that the developers haven't come up with anything better...and don't see a need to since its official name, once its released and the 'default', is already picked out. In this case, its release name will be (by all known accounts thusfar) "yum".
      So kind of like code names of yet-to-be-named projects like games and software, I suppose?

Comment

We need a cross distro Package Manager that handles rpm and .deb!

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          We need a cross distro Package Manager that handles rpm and .deb!
          One already available is "smart":

It's the default in Yocto:

which in turn supports several different packages formats (rpm5 is the default).

The dependency resolver library, libsatsolver, is developed by opensuse, is in use in zypper and dnf, and supports deb.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            So kind of like code names of yet-to-be-named projects like games and software, I suppose?
            Mhmm. The plan on the wiki is for Fedora 22 to be the target release of DNF whereupon it will be installed by default and renamed to be 'yum.' old yum will be removed and everyone will automatically start using dnf without even realizing it (except for developers who have to make sure they arent using deprecated functinality that has now been removed)
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
            X