No announcement yet.

Unvanquished Is Rewriting, Modernizing The Quake 3 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For that matter, I built your struct example using 4.7.1 -O1.

The stripped sizes were 2.2kb and 2.4kb, the runtimes 2ms and 4ms, repeatedly. Perhaps some parts are different on Windows, like using mscvrt.dll.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
      Did you seriously just use void main()........
      While I've lost interest in the thread, I'll have some fun with this one and give you another clue: You only return from main() in ANSI C...

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        While I've lost interest in the thread, I'll have some fun with this one and give you another clue: You only return from main() in ANSI C...
        To the best of my knowledge it is implementation-dependant in all the C standards. Most compilers will expect a return type of int for main though some may allow something like void.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
          To the best of my knowledge it is implementation-dependant in all the C standards. Most compilers will expect a return type of int for main though some may allow something like void.
          Yap. It's a working, cross-platform, production, open-source compiler. Though like I said, it's not all standard.
          Besides, Even in ANSI C (http://www.iso-9899.info/wiki/The_Standard) and ISO C (http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_det...csnumber=17782) the main() return types are optional. It's just not very clear if you're not used to reading and implementing standards.
          To be specific, in C99 (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/proj...rr/doc/c99.pdf), "5.1.2.2. Program startup", the phrasing is:

The function called at program startup is named main. The implementation declares no prototype for this function. It shall be defined with a return type of int and with no parameters:
          Code:
          int main(void) { /* ... */ }
          or with two parameters (referred to here as argc and argv, though any names may be used, as they are local to the function in which they are declared):
          Code:
          int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { /* ... */ }
          or equivalent; or in some other implementation-defined manner

So, what happened is that most implementers figured the "or" only applied to the parameters. Where, in fact, it applied to the entire subject of the sentence. That is, the "other implementation-defined manner" overrides both whole "defined with a return type of int and with no parameters" and not just "and with no parameters".
          In the following section, "5.1.2.2.3 Program termination" it's made rather explicit:

If the return type of the main function is a type compatible with int, a return from the initial call to the main function is equivalent to calling the exit function with the value returned by the main function as its argument; reaching the } that terminates the main
          function returns a value of 0. If the return type is not compatible with int, the termination status returned to the host environment is unspecified.
          Forward references: definition of terms (7.1.1), the exit function (7.20.4.3).

The key here is "If the return type of the main function is a type compatible with int,". That is, it's not guaranteed that you have to return int. And if you don't, you're going to need to use the exit(). Which I did.

By the way, I've never seen a fully standard compatible compiler. Even GNU C has some violations. And of course, the most popular, Microsoft Compiler is filled with poor, miss, and downright obtuse violations.

Now, the next hint is that I didn't make any mistakes. That code compiles and runs without any errors.
          Last edited by c117152; 20 September 2013, 03:34 PM. Reason: grammer and typos

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Quake 3 engine is outdated. Xonotic has better engine.
            This is the annoying shit that I am so sick of seeing. This is a thread about Unvanquished and the progress they have made. If you want to extoll the virtues of Xonotic, post on a Xonotic thread, or start a new one. This shit is getting older than your grandma's panties.

Comment

Working...
            X