Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Unvanquished Is Rewriting, Modernizing The Quake 3 Engine

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,800

    Default Unvanquished Is Rewriting, Modernizing The Quake 3 Engine

    Phoronix: Unvanquished Is Rewriting, Modernizing The Quake 3 Engine

    The Unvanquished open-source game is one of the most fascinating open-source game projects as they've strived for fundamental improvements in the ioquake3 engine and also to deliver high quality art assets and in-game content. Unvanquished is powered by the Daemon Engine, which is derived from the ioquake3 engine at its core -- the open-source version of id's Quake III engine. With the original code being the better part of two decades old, the developers are seeking to modernize and rewrite the code-base...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2MjM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    458

    Default

    They have done some cool things with their engine so far. To bad they have scrap it and write something brand new after coming so far. Maybe forking the DOOM3 engine would be a good place to start?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    We are not scraping the current engine but more like evolving it incrementally. We are however scraping and replacing the internals one at a time so that eventually we have a more "modern" engine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kangz View Post
    We are not scraping the current engine but more like evolving it incrementally. We are however scraping and replacing the internals one at a time so that eventually we have a more "modern" engine.
    Did you considered other options? If yes which were they?
    Why is better to modernize engine than ship the game?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Did you considered other options? If yes which were they?
    Why is better to modernize engine than ship the game?
    You say that as if they cannot do both and that they are mutually exclusive.
    Also, the amount of time people spend writing code is generally not going to affect the speed of game shipment since all the other parts (assets, sound..) are done by other people. Most of the work is not programming, which is why most FOSS games just suck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I had a look at some of your latest source code and it's looking really clean and heavily document. Well done.
    I'm just loving that C89 style. So neat and proper. It's no wonder so many quake3 ports have been made over the years.
    C might get tedious and boring but well written C just makes me happy in ways no C++ hack could. I suspect the lack of interest in Doom3 indicates others feel the same way as I do.

    I haven't noticed any C++ stuff so I'm hoping your C++11 transition will be very strict and limited.
    Using PNaCl is interesting. I really dislike JavaScript so I think, while not optimum, it's probably the best way to get a web app going. Though I'm not quite sure why you guys are interested in PNaCl. Is an FPS really a web app now?

    Anyhow, I hope you guys can merge the Jedi Outcast\Academy modifications so that there will truly be one fork to rule them all

    Good-luck!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n3wu53r View Post
    You say that as if they cannot do both and that they are mutually exclusive.
    Also, the amount of time people spend writing code is generally not going to affect the speed of game shipment since all the other parts (assets, sound..) are done by other people. Most of the work is not programming, which is why most FOSS games just suck.
    You kangz?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •