Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Buggy Mir Shown Running Unity 8 On Ubuntu Touch

Phoronix: A Buggy Mir Shown Running Unity 8 On Ubuntu Touch

A new video surfaced today showing Unity 8 atop Mir -- without XMir or Android's SurfaceFlinger -- running on Ubuntu Touch, but right now it's a visually depressing experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasn't the initial plan to have Mir on the UbuntuTouch images since May?

Comment

WOW flickering, a crippling bug, NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        WOW flickering, a crippling bug, NOT.
        When you think about that flicker-free display is one of the top feature of Wayland it's kinda ironic that Mir has this bug.

Comment

The gestures look like a mess on that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            The gestures look like a mess on that thing.
            yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing.

On topic:

Flickers will probably be resolved pretty soon. What's good is that it looks like it's running fast (no lags or fps stutters).

Comment

It's actually in a much better shape than I've imagined it to be. The performance seem quite decent and the tearing is looking easily fixable. The device is obviously responsive even with this buggy driver \ display server. And even the interface design is original and reasonable with the way the apps are accessible from below like that...

Too bad about Mir. If they'd just stick to Wayland instead of turning back on their word they might have had a chance. Now they'll be slowly pushed aside as more and more GPU manufacturers and GUI kit developers decide to support Wayland and X exclusively since Mir is justifiably considered as Canonical's own mess to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                When you think about that flicker-free display is one of the top feature of Wayland it's kinda ironic that Mir has this bug.
                They should have forked the "Every frame is perfect" motto of wayland. ^^

Comment

This bug might be a result of using a pre-August 4st snapshot of Mesa with Mir. There was an upstream bug regarding flickering with V-Sync enabled, fixed on August 4th. I was able to replicate the same thing using KWin-GLES, VSync and a Mesa snapshot with that date.

Comment

I don't think that the Nexus 4 uses a mesa package.

Comment

Working...
                    X