No announcement yet.

A Buggy Mir Shown Running Unity 8 On Ubuntu Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does BO$$ do the things he does? Its like talking to one of the great-aunts when she stuck on spreading the word of the "Age of Aquarius"....

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      I actually flashed back to Android as I needed eBook reading, but I found myself wanting to do the gestures from Ubuntu-Touch.

The Ubuntu-Touch gestures are intuitive and simplified, which meets the KISS principle and the Zen style that Steve Jobs would love. The only gripe I have is the 'back' process isn't fast, in that you usually need to swipe up for base menu and then press the back button if it's there. I would also like to close programs faster than holding down for period on an open apps icon displayed in the apps area.

I think there is too much bias toward Canonical from those that are protecting their smaller projects. It's about time to give credit were due.
      Those gestures kinda remind me of my W510 Tablet with Windows 8 lol :P Pity I couldn't get any other OS to boot for fun (Turned off Secure Boot, but couldn't start xserver, must be the iGPU's of Intel :P)

Comment

If you want gesture-based UI done right, get Sailfish. Their UI looks much more intuitive IMO.

(also the fact that they use Wayland doesn't hurt either)

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          If you want gesture-based UI done right, get Sailfish. Their UI looks much more intuitive IMO.
          (also the fact that they use Wayland doesn't hurt either)
          Sailfish is closed source, so they can gtfo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
            Sailfish is closed source, so they can gtfo.
            No it's not.

Comment

No it's not.
              Mer != Sailfish. Come back when they open their UX sources.

Comment

Just looked it up, Sailfish's UX is closed. Check link.

Why is Sailfish the opensource prodigy here on the forums when the UX is closed? Isn't practically the only thing Sailfish develops the UX? (is their wayland compositor/weston replacement open?) Doesn't that make it a opencore company, not a opensource company???

I'm not trying to fix a fight, I just want to understand Sailfish.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  http://lwn.net/Articles/561463/

Just looked it up, Sailfish's UX is closed. Check link.

Why is Sailfish the opensource prodigy here on the forums when the UX is closed? Isn't practically the only thing Sailfish develops the UX? (is their wayland compositor/weston replacement open?) Doesn't that make it a opencore company, not a opensource company???

I'm not trying to fix a fight, I just want to understand Sailfish.
                  I can't speak of "prodigies on the forums" or any other strawman arguments, but I'll tell you why I think Sailfish is good.

1 - it's still the best we have. It's mostly open source (afaik, everything except the UI, which is closed "for now"). If you look at any of the competitors, none of them are any more open than Sailfish is. Android comes with proprietary Google applications, yes you can argue that you can run or fork Android without them, but the same way you can use Sailfish without the closed UI part. The only one that is supposedly completely open is Firefox OS, but it's based entirely on web app technology and html5, and is much further from a glibc-based Linux. Tizen is mostly open source, but at least the mobile version comes with Flora-licensed applications, which means they basically cannot be used without the Tizen foundation's approval. Ubuntu's UI also depends on proprietary server-side code - specifically, the smartscopes in the dash, the smartscopes server side code is entirely closed and proprietary.

2 - speaking of, Sailfish is a glibc-based, real, actual GNU/Linux, which makes it much easier to port code and apps from regular GNU/Linux desktop distros to it than Android. Yet, Sailfish is also able to run Android apps.

3 - Sailfish's UI is *currently* closed, this is not set in stone - IIRC Jolla has expressed some intent to release the entire OS as open source. It could be that they're simply keeping it closed until release, to keep competitors from "stealing their thunder". If so, this would be entirely acceptable IMO.

*edit. even the link you yourself posted states this:
                  The user interface layer is Jolla-specific and is currently closed, but it will not remain that way forever.
                  **edit. afaik, some parts of the UI layer source have already been released.

4 - open development model. Android, Tizen, and to some extent Ubuntu have closed development models where only company workers get to contribute. Sailfish is based on Mer, which is open to community contributions and has an entirely open development model, anyone can join in and contribute. The same applies to other parts of Sailfish, apart from the UI (for now). Firefox OS also has an open development model, but again, it's an entirely different kind of OS.

5 - also, it uses Wayland which is awesome.

6 - unique gesture-based UI which is unlike anything else on the market and looks cool and polished as whatever.
                  Last edited by dee.; 20 September 2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I can't speak of "prodigies on the forums" or any other strawman arguments, but I'll tell you why I think Sailfish is good.

1 - it's still the best we have. It's mostly open source (afaik, everything except the UI, which is closed "for now"). If you look at any of the competitors, none of them are any more open than Sailfish is. Android comes with proprietary Google applications, yes you can argue that you can run or fork Android without them, but the same way you can use Sailfish without the closed UI part. The only one that is supposedly completely open is Firefox OS, but it's based entirely on web app technology and html5, and is much further from a glibc-based Linux. Tizen is mostly open source, but at least the mobile version comes with Flora-licensed applications, which means they basically cannot be used without the Tizen foundation's approval. Ubuntu's UI also depends on proprietary server-side code - specifically, the smartscopes in the dash, the smartscopes server side code is entirely closed and proprietary.

2 - speaking of, Sailfish is a glibc-based, real, actual GNU/Linux, which makes it much easier to port code and apps from regular GNU/Linux desktop distros to it than Android. Yet, Sailfish is also able to run Android apps.

3 - Sailfish's UI is *currently* closed, this is not set in stone - IIRC Jolla has expressed some intent to release the entire OS as open source. It could be that they're simply keeping it closed until release, to keep competitors from "stealing their thunder". If so, this would be entirely acceptable IMO.

*edit. even the link you yourself posted states this:

**edit. afaik, some parts of the UI layer source have already been released.

4 - open development model. Android, Tizen, and to some extent Ubuntu have closed development models where only company workers get to contribute. Sailfish is based on Mer, which is open to community contributions and has an entirely open development model, anyone can join in and contribute. The same applies to other parts of Sailfish, apart from the UI (for now). Firefox OS also has an open development model, but again, it's an entirely different kind of OS.

5 - also, it uses Wayland which is awesome.

6 - unique gesture-based UI which is unlike anything else on the market and looks cool and polished as whatever.
                    This Jolla phone you've been hyping up is expensive. It seems to aim to compete with high-end Android phones.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      This Jolla phone you've been hyping up is expensive. It seems to aim to compete with high-end Android phones.
                      its a really good phone for 500$ unlocked even the cheap iphone is over 500$ unlocked

Comment

Working...
                      X