Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Easier Running Wayland Under GNOME-Session

Phoronix: It's Now Easier Running Wayland Under GNOME-Session

With another day comes more improvements to the Linux desktop running atop Wayland. While yesterday saw Enlightenment on Wayland work, today already is some GNOME Wayland activity ahead of the GNOME 3.10 release in just a few weeks time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad Ubuntu and Debian repositories carries old version of Wayland.

So on what does GDM run?
    Does GDM run on X, then you select the Wayland session, then you run both X and Wayland?
    Or does GDM run on Wayland?
    Or does GDM run on X then X exits and Wayland starts?
    Or GDM runs on framebuffer or something independent of both X and Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Looks like the next Ubuntu LTS gonna go head to head against Gnome with full Wayland support. Fun times ahead.
      Only that nobody that wants to use a LTS will go for Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

So on what does GDM run?
        Does GDM run on X, then you select the Wayland session, then you run both X and Wayland?
        Good question! I wonder about that too

Comment

So on what does GDM run?
          This is a great question.
          I think that GDM might run on Wayland, and if you choose an X session Wayland exits and X starts... but then GDM would have to restart...
          Hmm :/

Comment

So if I install Fedora 20 RC1 on an external HD and opt-in to Fedora Rawhide will I get this update over night?

Comment

Would love to see more Youtube videos showing this sort of progress. If you search for Wayland on Youtube you tend to get fairly old stuff.

Comment

There is newer version here:
                git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/weston.git
                git://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/wayland.git
                So on what does GDM run?
                I'm not sure, but it might work on gnome-shell.
                /usr/share/gdm/greeter/applications/gnome-shell.desktop:
                Exec=gnome-shell --mode=gdm
                RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

According to https://wiki.gnome.org/Wayland/gdm , it looks like at first GDM will run under X server which after login is reset and left running in the background for later use.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    This is a great question.
                    I think that GDM might run on Wayland, and if you choose an X session Wayland exits and X starts... but then GDM would have to restart...
                    Hmm :/
                    X Wayland should be automatically loaded when WMs, not DMs are chosen in GDM menu. I other choises option for X and Wayland shoud be prompted. GDM shoud be rewrited for framebuffer mode, which is often running after an early start within boot process. Next switches to X or Wayland will be simple then.

Comment

Working...
                    X