No longer able to shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer able to shutdown

When I was using a stable version of fglrx, I used to be able to shutdown the computer properly by using KDE 4 menu. When I installed the latest version of fglrx, the system hangs on a black screen when I try to shutdown using KDE's menu. It looks like the shutdown script is not able to terminate a process, causing the system to hang on the black screen. Is it possible that this issue was caused by fglrx? Is there a fix?

Thanks,
    Tiago

I would try to first stop the atieventsd (/etc/init.d/atieventsd stop or something??) process en then shut down.

(it is just a guess from a non-expert, based on my own experience. If this works, you could consider to remove the process from you startup scripts as described in the wiki).

Comment

There was a possible "almost fix" soloution posted here recently -- will try to find it later today. The theory is that atieventsd is hanging because it is unable to find a certain file, which is in a different location on different distros, and if you fix *that* (through a script change) then atieventsd doesn't hang in the first place.

I have not had a chance to discuss this with our developers but if I find the post I will see what they think about this. Might be a red herring but a few people tried it and it seemed to work for them.
      Test signature

Comment

I stopped atieventsd before shutting down with the following command:

Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/atieventsd stop
        However, the system didn't shut down properly. I noticed that the shutdown script had to terminate atieventsd again (twice).

bridgman, if you happen to find the "almost fix," please let me know. I looked around the forum, but couldn't find it.

Tiago

Comment

OK, here we go. Also click on "Thread" and see post #134.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            OK, here we go. Also click on "Thread" and see post #134.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126
            Thanks! It worked!

Comment

could this cause games to lock the system

Please let me know if I'm off point here.

Following instructions I found that indeed the script

/etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh

was not finding

:0.Xauth

/var/lib/gdm

it was there, so I did this

sudo ln -s /var/gdm /var/lib/gdm

When I made the link, my display flickered

You say a real fix is graceful exit to the script. Does anyone have script mods yet? It should be a generic fix right? Sorry I haven't had time to lsof and try to figure out what authatieventsd is doing.

-- update --

I had a chance to look at the script again, and I'm not sure I understand it. $1 wants string grant or revoke, I'm not sure how or where that is being passed to the script. $2 is the display name. After looking at the script I thought $2 would be $1 ? See where the script says /var/lib/gdm/$1.Xauth I thought that should be /var/lib/gdm/$2.Xauth

If $1 is grant or revoke that would mean this would always fail for me.

Then later in the script $1 is used how I expected if it is actaully :0.Xauth and not string grant or revoke.

DISP_SEARCH_STRING="unix$1"

I'm confused :|

Here is my X process from ps

/usr/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

This does confirm the location of the auth file.

I just did sudo /etc/init.d/atieventsd restart and I got a flicker like when I fixed the /var/lib/gdm issue.

I guess atieventsd is where I should be looking for answers?

-- Update --

If atieventsd is the problem, would it cause the lock while I'm playing urbanterror. When I say lock I mean I have to hard reboot. I never saw this with fedora 7 x86_64. I do expect fedora 8 to have more problems because its using new kernel and packages, but a hard lock up? I'm going to try the xorg-radeon, that should remove atieventsd from my system right? xorg-radeonhd looked awesome and had crazy resolutions, but no 3D so no games. I'm using these now,

xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.471-1.8.03.lvn8
              kmod-fglrx-8.471-3.8.03.lvn8
              xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-8.471-1.8.03.lvn8
              kmod-fglrx-2.6.24.3-50.fc8-8.471-3.8.03.lvn8

The proprietary directly from AMD gave me lock ups too.

Thanks,

--- UPDATE ---

I uninstalled all drivers and removed all livna pacakges. Re-installed xorg. Installed AMD proprietary from AMD website. Installed freshrpms. Now my games are working again.

One huge difference. When my games where locking I was always running Amarok in the background for tunes. After some testing, I think my hard lock ups are caused by pulseaudio and fglrx. Without amarok in the background no lockups or artifacts while playing urbanterror.

C
              Last edited by c247; 29 March 2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

The current thinking is that the problem is atieventsd itself failing when the file is not found, not the script. If this is true, then an easy solution (hopefully) would be to have atieventsd complain about the missing file rather than failing.

I need to stress that this has not yet been confirmed with our devs -- it's a discovery by a forum user which so far has seemed to work pretty well.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X