Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: The State of KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma 2

Phoronix: Video: The State of KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma 2

For those curious about the state of KDE Frameworks 5 and the Plasma 2 desktop interface, KDE developer Sebastian K?gler has posted a video of the current state of this new KDE code that's expected to stabilize in 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE4 took a few years and like 6 point releases to get rid of all important bugs, if that's any indication KDE Fr5 should be actually ready by like 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      KDE4 took a few years and like 6 point releases to get rid of all important bugs, if that's any indication KDE Fr5 should be actually ready by like 2016.
      KDE 4 was revolutionary, not evolutionary. They DRASTICALLY changed...Just about everything. KDE 5 is meant to be relatively boring and more of an evolutionary update from the sounds of it.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Another video

Another video of current KF5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLSXtCkp2P8

Comment

I really like KDE but has anyone seen any good plasmoids around? Even the stock ones seem unfinished. The promise was so much more. Sure, the tech will get updated but plasma will remain not very useful. Keeping my thumbs up anyway, maybe QML2 will allow for easier creation of cool plasma apps/gadgets?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            KDE 4 was revolutionary, not evolutionary. They DRASTICALLY changed...Just about everything. KDE 5 is meant to be relatively boring and more of an evolutionary update from the sounds of it.
            There will be no KDE 5, only Plasma 2.

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
              I really like KDE but has anyone seen any good plasmoids around?
              Homerun, Smooth Tasks2, Battery, Plasma-NM, CWP, Digital Clock, Folder View, Systray, Sticky Notes, and Quick Launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                There will be no KDE 5, only Plasma 2.
                There will be KDE Frameworks 5, KDE Applications 5 and KDE Workspaces 2. The KFs are mostly about modularization of kdelibs (cleanups, merges with Qt 5, deprecations etc). KDE Applications will likely be just a port of KDE Applications 4.xx to KF5. The changes in Plasma Workspaces are quite notable with stuff like complete QML2 port and removal of the old graphics system.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  There will be KDE Frameworks 5, KDE Applications 5 and KDE Workspaces 2.
                  No, there will be no ?KDE Workspaces 2?, only Plasma 2.
                  Whether the applications will get a 5.x number, hasn't even been decided, yet.

Comment

No, there will be no ?KDE Workspaces 2?, only Plasma 2.
                    The KDE Release Structure Evolves article clearly mentions KDE Workspaces 2.

Whether the applications will get a 5.x number, hasn't even been decided, yet.
                    What else could it be? It would make no sense not to move to 5.x because people probably want to be able to install KDE SC 4 and KDE Applications "5" side by side; having 4.13 for Qt 4 and 4.14 for Qt 5 would be pretty damn confusing. I know there's no concrete plans on when it will be released but I haven't heard any one suggest that there's any question what the version number will be.

Comment

Working...
                    X