New KDE Plasma NM Sees Its First Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Ignore him, he trolls-- a lot. Bluetooth is working just fine here on Fedora 19
    It seems that in upstream bluez4 has been broken for a long time. Patches have been known since over a year. On Archlinux I still had to apply these patches https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35695 to get tethering working. Only works when adding the profile with bluedevil to networkmanager and then connecting with the "current" kde networkmanager applet. The gnome control center bluetooth thing has a button to connect, but the button is disabled. On blueman I get a timeout when trying to connect.

Does nobody find it sad that on desktop linux bluetooth tethering has been broken for a few years now and nobody cares? No really, install a default ubuntu 12.04 LTS, get a standard android smartphone and try if you can even pair it. Last time I tried it both the default ubuntu bluetooth thingy and blueman failed...

Your best bet is really, on the command line, pairing with hcitool, then sudo pand -n --role PANU -persist 30 -c bluetooth-id; sudo ifconfig bnep0 up; sudo dhcpcd bnep0
    Just in case someone needs it.

To the people who don't believe that the "current" kde networkmanager applet is broken: Add a bluetooth tethering connection to the networkmanger. Open the knetwormanager administration/settings. Notice the tab "mobile broadband". It has a nice button "add connection" where you can add a cdma or gsm connection. Now remove the tethering connection. Now the "mobile broadband" tab is disabled and you have no way of reaching the "add connection" button anymore and your only chance is to add the bluetooth tethering profile with bluedevil.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      To the people who don't believe that the "current" kde networkmanager applet is broken: Add a bluetooth tethering connection to the networkmanger. Open the knetwormanager administration/settings. Notice the tab "mobile broadband". It has a nice button "add connection" where you can add a cdma or gsm connection. Now remove the tethering connection. Now the "mobile broadband" tab is disabled and you have no way of reaching the "add connection" button anymore and your only chance is to add the bluetooth tethering profile with bluedevil.
      Sounds like a good bug report. I hope you filed it.

Comment

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
        Dear KDE developers
        This is not a KDE feedback forum.

KDE 4 was released five years ago and the original NetworkManager applet is so broken that I always just disabled it and used the GNOME nm-applet instead.
        This can't be true. The original release did not contain any NetworkManager applet at all.

Instead of just fixing the old stuff now we have a reimplementation atop of bleeding-edge technology and it just looks even more horrible than the old applet.
        It's just a new UI on top of the existing libraries.

they reimplemented the Task Manager applet (I have NO idea why this was even necessary)
        Non-QML UIs are deprecated in Qt5, that's why.

yesterday I got so fed up that I took the time to ditch KDE for XFCE on all my machines.
        What are you doing here then?
        Be happy with your new DE and take some time to learn how Xfce is spelled.

Comment

Plasma-NM is great. Installed it last night.
          The Connection Editor is a bit unpolished (something to be expected in the first pre-1.0 release) but overall I find it better than the old applet.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Martin makes a living from blogging, just like the 1000 teenagers.
            Just how fucking clueless can you be? Martin works for Blue Systems as a full time developer working on KWin.

A much much better UX.
            So good in fact that it spawned two forks, one for Gnome 2 (Mate) and other for Gnome Shell (Cinnamon) and an additional Classic Mode because the default interface is not something you could put in an enterprise distribution... At the same time Ubuntu abandoned the Gnome as default shell. Spectacular job indeed. That being said, I have nothing against it, it's just not something I would ever use.

Comment

Riiiight. Martin makes a living from blogging, just like the 1000 teenagers. Nobody cares about kwin, it is a stale, old mess. Im happy for the blog-go-hacker that he can make a living from live-blogging as he pulls the worst crap out kwin. But at the end of the day nobody cares about kwin.
              This guy works full-time on software used by millions of users. When can we see your contributions to the open source community, especially one that is as much successful as KWin?

Comment

Fixed.
                It's almost amusing how hard it's for you to accept being wrong.

Gnome is the only code and UX worth forking.
                ...or maybe it's the only one that's so inflexible that it's necessary? ...or it has so hostile community that people can't deal with it?

And as you probably have realized the forks are going nowhere, people get smarter.
                According to who? Cinnamon seems to be doing fine. Just for your information, the fact that you equate people with same preferences as yours as being smart tells quite a bit about your lack of intelligence.

Maybe KDE could have been stupid enough to accept being a Canonical CLA project? Just like KDE loooves its CLAed tool kit.
                I like how it always comes down to the CLA when you run out of arguments. It's too hard for you to accept that Qt is more actively developed toolkit than glib/GTK+? You can't stand the fact that Ubuntu is much more popular than Gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  You can't stand the fact that Ubuntu is much more popular than Gnome?
                  Ubuntu?s popularity has never been independently verified. Occasionally Canonical releases some numbers but not how they were collected. If by counting update repo connections, all derivatives (incl. Mint and Kubuntu) are counted as well.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers counts 771 Ubuntu Members which is pretty low for a popular FOSS project.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Ubuntu?s popularity has never been independently verified.
                    It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. You can use stuff like Alexa rank, Google Trends, ammount of registered users in forums (1,5 million @ ubuntu forums), size of online communities like Facebook, Google+ and Reddit, indicators like the fact that software like Steam come first to Ubuntu, the news buzz (mainstream technical sites report only about Ubuntu), vendor contracts (the Dell stuff at India and China)... every single one points to Ubuntu being by far the biggest. People are of course free to believe whatever they like...

Comment

But don't worry, KDE's bigger brother will do the transistion first so there are less for KDE to screw up. Say thanks to Gnome just like you need to say thanks for doing Wayland first.
                      You probably meant a bastard called gnome. I have only to say: screw this mess that came from Icaza and divided Linux desktop. Gnome only copies from KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X