FreeBSD Is No Longer Building GCC By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
    In all the comparisons I've read here on phoronix, Clang turns out to be producing slower executables than GCC, at least in most cases and in most cases by a significant margin.

On the other hand, I understand that Clang usually compiles faster and it has a really cool architecture meaning you can leave your code compiled only half-way in byte-code form and finish the compilation at run time which is really useful in some OS-X graphics drivers.

Neither of these advantages seems like a real advantage to anybody who uses his computer mostly for other things than compiling software.

Am I missing something or have the FreeBSD demons entered a final stage of some supernatural mental dysfunction?
    GCC is the GNU compiler collection. It's part of the GNU project, maintained by FSF. It's licensed under GPL.

FreeBSD hates GNU, they hate FSF, and they hate GPL. They want an entirely GPL-free system. So this is an entirely political move, screw the technical concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      GCC is the GNU compiler collection. It's part of the GNU project, maintained by FSF. It's licensed under GPL.

FreeBSD hates GNU, they hate FSF, and they hate GPL. They want an entirely GPL-free system. So this is an entirely political move, screw the technical concerns.
      Are you implying Clang has no technical merits?
      Although the main reason could be political, I doubt FreeBSD would make such a drastic change if Clang didn't actually provide at least GCC's performance; the technical advantages of Clang over GCC have been stated here and justifies such change.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
        Are you implying Clang has no technical merits?
        Although the main reason could be political, I doubt FreeBSD would make such a drastic change if Clang didn't actually provide at least GCC's performance; the technical advantages of Clang over GCC have been stated here and justifies such change.
        Sure it probably has some merits, maybe, I don't know.

Comment

Sure it probably has some merits, maybe, I don't know.
          So what you actually are saying is: I don't know about the technical background, I only joined the thread to bitch about politics.

Comment

So the planet is free to do whatever they want, just as long as you agree with it? Take your Stalinist world view and blow it out your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              So what you actually are saying is: I don't know about the technical background, I only joined the thread to bitch about politics.
              That's half of all Phoronix forums posts (and probably most of dee.'s).

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                So the planet is free to do whatever they want, just as long as you agree with it? Take your Stalinist world view and blow it out your ass.
                So women are free to do whatever they want, just as long as they obey their husband? Take your taliban world view and blow it out your ass.

* you are not the only one who can put words in other peoples mouths, and use that as a basis to attack them..

Comment

Okay, I didn't know about their license tastes. Actually being stuck with GCC 4.2.1, I understand they prefer LLVM. To them, it's a future compared to no future. And a more recent LLVM is definitely not bad at all against GCC 4.2.1, at least not according to phoronix.

GCC 4.2.1 vs Clang 3.1: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._llvmgcc&num=4
                  GCC 4.8.1 vs Clang 3.3: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l_llvm33&num=3

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    So women are free to do whatever they want, just as long as they obey their husband? Take your taliban world view and blow it out your ass.

* you are not the only one who can put words in other peoples mouths, and use that as a basis to attack them..
                    Only that yogi_berra based it on what dee. has posted and you are just pulling stuff out of nowhere.

Comment

It's always comforting to know that technically inclined people can continue to be technical incompetent and devoid of any sense of reason, whilst swimming in a sea of zealotry.

Comment

Working...
                      X