No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Is No Longer Building GCC By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The discussion stemmed from this interview on BSDtalk: http://bsdtalk.blogspot.de/2007/10/b...-stallman.html, the relevant part is given in this quote (added to the page later):
    In the interview, I said that all the BSD systems " include, in
    their installation systems--in some cases I believe it's called a ports system...--they all include some non-free programs". What I meant is that the non-free programs are included in the set of programs that the ports system can install. The ports system software as such is free. For me, distributing a recipe to fetch and install a non-free program is pretty much ethically equivalent to distributing a copy.
    The mailing list threads weren't fun to read, and I don't think anybody came out of them smelling of roses.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Anyway, it doesn't really matter precisely what he said - it's not a few individuals arguing over semantics on a mailing list that makes OpenBSD look completely unprofessional here - it's the fact that the organisation itself responded by publishing a comic strip that mocks the FSF and attributes statements to them that aren't true.

There are often disagreements between Linux distributions - and yet I have never seen any Linux distribution publish a comic showing their little mascot killing some other mascot. Do you think Fedora would publish an official comic showing them killing Mark Shuttleworth because of Mir? I would be genuinely surprised if that happened.
    I think you're giving too much weight to a cartoon. Their cartoons celebrating each release often have puffy going up against somebody and defeating them by some means. It was a parody: they weren't saying that Stallman actually said "You must not sell software.", or that he requires all software to be handed to him for redistribution. It's a little cartoon to celebrate them overcoming some adversary or difficulty in a light-hearted way. It's something they've been doing for well over 10 years.

There's a page that lists all the previous releases and the songs with an explanation of each one: http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html. The songs are worth a listen as well :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      Last time I checked this article was about FreeBSD. Why does a comic strip on the OpenBSD site imply that FreeBSD are GNU haters again?
      Good point: I withdraw from the OpenBSD discussion!

Comment

On a completely unrelated point, the only way to prevent installation of "non-free" software is to prevent installation of software period

I'm sure I could install "non-free" software in FSF endorsed Trisquel or whatever it is called.

Comment

A lot of people here seem to be under the belief that the move to Apple Clang/LLVM has been done out of hatred for the GNU/FSF. Not so; it is a pragmatic decision. FreeBSD gets a lot of funding and development from corporations who would be upset if the FreeBSD Base System included GPLv3 software which has the Tivoisation clause. As such they are moving to Clang/LLVM to avoid it. There's other components in the decision as well, and indeed a philosophical component about the GPL, but the decision is not being taken out of a rabid hatred of GNU.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
            A lot of people here seem to be under the belief that the move to Apple Clang/LLVM has been done out of hatred for the GNU/FSF. Not so; it is a pragmatic decision. FreeBSD gets a lot of funding and development from corporations who would be upset if the FreeBSD Base System included GPLv3 software which has the Tivoisation clause. As such they are moving to Clang/LLVM to avoid it. There's other components in the decision as well, and indeed a philosophical component about the GPL, but the decision is not being taken out of a rabid hatred of GNU.
            Thank you!
            +1.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Sorry, I'm in no habit of eating keyboards. Don't know what you're talking about.
              Yes, we know your reading comprehension is poor and/or selective. Thank you for yet another shining example...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Yes, we know your reading comprehension is poor and/or selective. Thank you for yet another shining example...
                Well, not usually, but when I'm tired it sometimes may be, yes. I made an error in this thread, I misread a post as being targeted towards me that probably wasn't, which I later acknowledged and apologized for. Most involved seemed content to let the issue go with that. Except for you.

Well, far be it from me to rob you of the only satisfaction in your life, but might I suggest that you're coming off just a tiny bit petty?

Comment

Working...
                X