I had pushed out _most_ of my pulls today, so realistically I didn't
    lose a lot of work. However, any people having outstanding pull
    requests or patches that they expected me to merge that are not in the
    current tree on git.kernel.org, you may want to re-send the email,
    because I had archived emails as I merged them, and I may not have
    found all the ones that never made it out.. I know a few involved,
    but....
    It's well under a day's worth...
    As far as backups, that's what git is for.
    Well, it's not the original purpose, but it's a function that it's useful for.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
      I suppose he might also go to an ATM machine and use a CAC card for identity verification.. while we are picking nits. Solid state disk disk.
      Although despite the name, an SSD isn't actually a disk. It's a bunch of chips, not a spinning platter...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Really amazing when you think about it though - 1 computer holds back the entire official release of the kernel.
        A release isn't going to be held back. Probably not even a RC.

Comment

For those wanting to know why he didn't mirror the disks, he feels that it's just inconvenience. He explains it in the same mailing list thread.

Comment

I never want to hear those words, SSD failure.

Comment

Back in the day...

Didn't Linus say something about backing up back in the day...

"Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it
              Torvalds, Linus (1996-07-20). Post. linux.dev.kernel newsgroup."

Well if I had as many systems mirroring my work as Linus has I probably wouldn't be overly worried about backing up either. The rest of us can either back up or do as the guy who filed a request with the NSA for the files he'd lost. :^)

Comment

It's not just about losing your data but you have to go through and reinstall your OS and all your applications and set everything up and all that crap. Forget that. I make daily backups of my whole system.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                  http://www.google.com/search?name=f&...ackup+internet
                  "Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it
                  Torvalds, Linus (1996-07-20). Post. linux.dev.kernel newsgroup."
                  Oh God the man sounds like me.

Comment

There are those who make backups and there are those who never had a drive fail...

Comment

words fail ... even my crappiest of documents is backed up across a few discs its so easy that until recently i didnt have raid i just used rsync to copy to each drive on a nightly basis

it wasnt an 'inconvienience' it was flipping easy

Surley rsync and backup is one of the strong features of a linux kernal

out of interest who manages the BSD kernal ? will they use backups

Comment

Working...
                      X