X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD Failure Temporarily Halts Linux 3.12 Kernel Work

Phoronix: SSD Failure Temporarily Halts Linux 3.12 Kernel Work

The failure of a solid-state drive in Linus Torvalds' main workstation has led to new activity during the Linux 3.12 kernel merge window being temporarily suspended...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, does that mean that he has no backups?

Comment

nor does he RAID1?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        "Only wimps use tape backup. REAL men just upload their important stuff on ftp and let the rest of the world mirror it."

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          If the SSD disk isn't recoverable he will finish out the Linux 3.12 merge window from a laptop.
          it's not a disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
            it's not a disk.
            I suppose he might also go to an ATM machine and use a CAC card for identity verification.. while we are picking nits. Solid state disk disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
              I suppose he might also go to an ATM machine and use a CAC card for identity verification.. while we are picking nits. Solid state disk disk.
              Dude, thats Solid State Drive Disk, not repetitive like your other two examplese... idiot!

Comment

I wonder if somehow poor OpenSUSE will get blamed for this too....

I notice that the Gordon Ramsay of software's not verbally abusing himself for not having backups though....

Comment

I'm thoroughly enjoying the comments to this topic.

But in all seriousness, why doesn't linus do RAID 1? Like sure, it's not very probable for an SSD to just fail unexpectedly like that, but, he probably kills the cells of an SSD much faster than most people, so it's very likely that if he did RAID 1, his other SSD would be taken down at the same time.

Really amazing when you think about it though - 1 computer holds back the entire official release of the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    From his email, it sounds like he just lost a day or so worth of new data. I would hope he backs up important stuff at least every 24 hours.

I guess he had like a day's worth of git merge requests saved to the SSD, and before he could merge them (which is effectively a backup), the SSD died.
                    Last edited by jwilliams; 11 September 2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X