Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SSD Failure Temporarily Halts Linux 3.12 Kernel Work

It's astounding to me that the Linux kernel is administered through some guy's laptop. I would've thought he'd use his laptop to connect to some server somewhere that would be set up to cope with issues just like this. So if his laptop went kaput, then he could appropriate another laptop to connect to the server and carry on without missing a beat. But no, we get this.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    one word for you people, NAS. Just transparently backup your computer to a network share. One doesn't even have to think about it.
    Don't you mean NSA ? If it's on a network the government backs it up for you ?

http://www.dilbert.com/2013-09-06/

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Don't you mean NSA ? If it's on a network the government backs it up for you ?

http://www.dilbert.com/2013-09-06/
    OH SNAP! hahahaha

I am not sure what I should knock on such as wood or pixels but I do not have backups of my data. Nobody depends on my data, so it is irresponsible of Linus to not make any backups. Also it is irresponsible of Linus to not think of setting up RAID-1 by combining SSD and a HDD. From my experience, HDD is very reliable under continuous writing and reading even though the heads hover very close to the platters (the area the data is stored).

I do not use SSD because of one failed cell or chip in a SSD can cause a complete failure. The worst thing for SSD is syslog which writes out to storage every second. I have hybrid HDD or a Seagate Momentus XT. This hard drive is a notebook drive that I use in my desktop/workstation. It is fast. Seagate also has hybrid HDD for desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's astounding to me that the Linux kernel is administered through some guy's laptop. I would've thought he'd use his laptop to connect to some server somewhere that would be set up to cope with issues just like this. So if his laptop went kaput, then he could appropriate another laptop to connect to the server and carry on without missing a beat. But no, we get this.
    Its an overall reflection of Linux i feel. I use it, its great but there are always many bugs, much movement and stuff that even a 5 year old would spot and fix but thats the price you DONT pay Often there appears to be a cavalier attitude to development but thats almost kind of the point as its cutting edge stuff done by weirdy beardy off the wall hippy types

rough with the smooth i guess. Once you find a stable level on a distro you cling onto it for dear life and keep those unnecessary updates away

More to the point, Linus should be working from a desktop and NOT a laptop for his kernel work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    More to the point, Linus should be working from a desktop and NOT a laptop for his kernel work.
    Why?

Nothing has been lost: people will resend the patches and he'll merge them. It's not as though there are millions of people lined up waiting for the next Linux kernel release, which will take months to appear in any distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgui View Post
    I suppose he might also go to an ATM machine and use a CAC card for identity verification.. while we are picking nits. Solid state disk disk.
    CAC is sufficient, Common Access Card ie CAC. The extra Card wasn't necessary as Torvalds probably thought extra drives wasn't