2D Performance Is Improving For Ubuntu 13.10 XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i just saying you don't like vimeo podcast etc hmm maybe i do a live podcast?
    whatever man, just keep the fun trolling coming with some spice of evidence I have so much fun/joy reading these forums. This is like slashdot minus steroids.

Comment

Some test where actually (a tiny bit) better than pure Xorg.
      This surprise me a bit. Is there anyone that can explain how
      that is possible?

Good to see this improvement though. Actually I never believed
      we would get this good before 13.10.

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
      xmir and xwayland are completely different, what a shame of comparition

xmir = full xorg run the DE
      xwayland = run only legacy apps on a MIR DE
      This will only happen in 13.10 so that Mir can be tested early.
      When on a pure Mir DE (Unity 8) XMir will have the same use
      as XWayland.

Comment

xmir and xwayland are completely different, what a shame of comparition

xmir = full xorg run the DE
        Lmao, you are so obsesed about mir u actualy said xwayland needs mir to run.
        XD u made my day troll.

xmir = full xorg DE runs on xmir
        xwayland = run only (rootless) legacy apps on a (Wayland!) DE
        i correct it for u

next time be less fanboy and think before you write, also this means nothing...
        there will be mir+(rootless) Xmir on unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
          Lmao, you are so obsesed about mir u actualy said xwayland needs mir to run.
          XD u made my day troll.

xmir = full xorg DE runs on xmir
          xwayland = run only (rootless) legacy apps on a (Wayland!) DE
          i correct it for u

next time be less fanboy and think before you write, also this means nothing...
          ...Mhhh this was an error, the only troll here, is you! stop to say shit junior member

and I'm not a fanboy , I prefer osx against linux , I am more neutral than you.

Comment

You should correct that to "it is planned to have Unity 8 running on Mir+rootless XMir in 14.10". Just like that already was planned for 14.04 (didn't work out, as it seems). Just like Unity should already run on Wayland. Just like all of that running on the Ubuntu TV.

It is Canonical, you should believe what they promise only when you can actually see that it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              You should correct that to "it is planned to have Unity 8 running on Mir+rootless XMir in 14.10". Just like that already was planned for 14.04 (didn't work out, as it seems). Just like Unity should already run on Wayland. Just like all of that running on the Ubuntu TV.

It is Canonical, you should believe what they promise only when you can actually see that it happens.
              nope i dont need to fix it, i said it will run on unity 8 wich is true... unity 8 will not run on X only mir, i didnt say when it would be released :P
              also unity 8 wont run on wayland unless they do a MirWayland layer like Xwayland...

Comment

...Mhhh this was an error, the only troll here, is you! stop to say shit junior member

and I'm not a fanboy , I prefer osx against linux , I am more neutral than you.
                ohh **** my apoligies, i thought linuxgamer wrote that...
                sorry havent slept for 2 days misread.
                also im a neutral here i use windows for my main OS and ubuntu for tests untill crap like this gets fixed :P

Comment

Since ubuntu 13.10 is running on Xmir wich in turn is running on mir, is it possivel to make fullscreen games bypass Xmir and talk direcly to mir?
                  that would alow us to have games using native mir with better performance then X
                  Two things. The first, no, you can't make it talk directly to Mir if using a fullscreen X server. The second, neither Wayland nor Mir are supposed to bring noticeable better performance than X for fullscreen games, for the simple reason none of them talk a lot to the X server. At most, they call GLXSwapBuffers (I'm not sure if that was the function name, but I think everyone understand what it does), which they will need to call anyway, or an equivalent. Most of the works is done via direct rendering, which should not be affected by none of Mir, X, or Wayland.

I don't think XWayland has anything to do with Mir...

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  well it seems for now that xmir will be more backward compatible with legacy X applications than xwayland is right now
                  You base this claim in what? Performance wise, you *might* be right, but I didn't see anything that support any claim on compatibility.

You are right in that xmir is rooted, but I guess that will help on testing/improving xmir so when the time comes to run rootless it's performance will be top notch.
                  Might, but not necessarily, as the main bottlenecks while running rooted are on compositing, while in rootless they are necessarily in the app called functions, since compositing is handled only once at the Wayland compositor or the Mir server (Is the server handling it, right? I really don't recall how the workload is distributed around there). So, most, but not necessarily all, of the optimizations made for XMir will become irrelevant when it becomes rootless.

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  Some test where actually (a tiny bit) better than pure Xorg.
                  This surprise me a bit. Is there anyone that can explain how that is possible?
                  If the differences are small enough (I didn't check the results yet), it might just be part of the normal randomness.

This will only happen in 13.10 so that Mir can be tested early.
                  And that's what pisses me off, they turn users into testers without asking for permission. And before anyone comes and say "but non-LTS releases are just glorified betas", please, please, ask a regular Joe running Ubuntu, and then come tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    You base this claim in what? Performance wise, you *might* be right, but I didn't see anything that support any claim on compatibility.
                    Well, there was an article some time ago on phoronix of a guy that did some wayland benchmarks and wasn't able to run any games (or something like that), and even segfaulted running X applications, of-course the test were using XWayland in rootless mode (the only mode supported by it). So for now XMir looks superior to XWayland, but XMir is running with X as root so end results may change when unity 8 is ready and XMir also runs rootless.

But if you analyze the development cycle of canonical they are first focusing on having the best they can from XMir, then they will focus on pure mir+unity8, so you can deduce that backward compatibility for X applications is going to be better with XMir than XWayland as it has been shown already, thats my opinion, no hard evidence to back it up, just analyzing the momentum

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      Well, there was an article some time ago on phoronix of a guy that did some wayland benchmarks and wasn't able to run any games (or something like that), and even segfaulted running X applications, of-course the test were using XWayland in rootless mode (the only mode supported by it). So for now XMir looks superior to XWayland, but XMir is running with X as root so end results may change when unity 8 is ready and XMir also runs rootless.

But if you analyze the development cycle of canonical they are first focusing on having the best they can from XMir, then they will focus on pure mir+unity8, so you can deduce that backward compatibility for X applications is going to be better with XMir than XWayland as it has been shown already, thats my opinion, no hard evidence to back it up, just analyzing the momentum
                      IIRC, that guy never built the custom mesa it needed to run GLX based apps on XWayland. XMir uses a custom mesa, too, just it comes with the testing version of Ubuntu, so those results are to be expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X