Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PengPod Claims It Will Transform PC & Tablet World

Phoronix: PengPod Claims It Will Transform PC & Tablet World

PengPod, a low-quantity Linux tablet vendor, released the PengPod 1040 tablet today that they claim will "transform the PC and Tablet world by merging both elegantly together to fit any lifestyle." But will it really pan out?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Long story short, a project to copy a failed project, on lower budget.
    At least they have actual specs.

Comment

No device having...
      ...a 9.7-inch display...
      ...will ever replace PC desktop. Case closed.

Comment

Cortex-A7 and PowerVR is really disappointing.

Comment

I'm quite disappointing with the usage of the A31. I know Neal from pengpod from #linux-sunxi and he is a nice guy, however this A31 thing is highly disappointing.

From us as the linux-sunxi community, I think it's quite fair to say, that A31 will be the ugly step-child that will enjoy the least support, due to the PowerVR. Our efforts are mainly focused the mali based SoC's. Is mali any better? not really but Mali is Luc Verhagen with his hard work on Lima. That is why it's so well supported. Things that will work for A31 are things that use the same drivers, so not all hope is lost. Anyway, I personally will stay away from the A31 as far as I can

Comment

Another suggestion, for a PC/Tablet merger, would be to have the device turn into a laptop at home. I have tablets, laptops, PC's around at home (all running linux/android). For a lot of stuff, we all prefer lappies, and to a lesser extent the only desktop PC. Tablets are good for reading news, books, touch games for the kids, and web-browsing that doesn't require much typing.

Some of these transformer devices (laptop/tablet) are on the right path, i think. Google should partner with Ubuntu and produce such a thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              Long story short, a project to copy a failed project, on lower budget.
              At least they have actual specs.
              Well, not really, since they have two other models already, and this isn't a phone. Apparently they've found enough success with the two previous models to think this is likely to be worth it, but not so much success that they can fund the initial run of this new one themselves.

I haven't really been thrilled with Allwinner SoC's in the past. They seem to advertise more developer support than they actually deliver. Also, PowerVR GPU's tend to have some of the worst open source support, though they sometimes have binary drivers for ARM Linux available. I'm not that disappointed by the Cortex A7. It's not as powerful as an A15, but the point of the A7 is to be at least as powerful as an A9 at a lower cost, and the benchmarks I have seen seem to support that claim pretty well.

Comment

Working...
              X