Fedora 20 Moves Ahead With Wayland Tech Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
    I can't speak for individuals or companies, but if the circumstances were right for whatever reason, then they could do it.
    No, they legally cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      I don't think it is at all reasonable for one project to get off the hook for what they are doing just because another company might do something similar (with great difficulty and expense) at some indeterminate point in the future.
      You should also add has done in the case of Red Hat. I'm sorry but I don't see why Canonical should solely get lynched for using CLAs when others have used them or still do, there are other, and far more valid reasons to criticise them.

Comment

Your posts could potentially be seen as brining Red Hat into disrepute, you should be a bit more tactful in your criticism.
        Why? I don't work for Red Hat and even if I was, you should assume that I speak for myself. If you have a problem with the Phoronix profile, complain to them. I can't edit it.

Comment

You should also add has done in the case of Red Hat. I'm sorry but I don't see why Canonical should solely get lynched for using CLAs when others have used them or still do, there are other, and far more valid reasons to criticise them.
          It is hardly just Canonical. Several projects including Qt and Openoffice.org has been criticized before for using a CLA.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            Why? I don't work for Red Hat and even if I was, you should assume that I speak for myself. If you have a problem with the Phoronix profile, complain to them. I can't edit it.
            That would be a issue for you to resolve, I know I would not want to misrepresent myself.

Comment

That would be a issue for you to resolve, I know I would not want to misrepresent myself.
              No. It is Phoronix's problem and I have reported it to them already. They haven't fixed it and it is solely their fault. Also you should assume that everyone is speaking for themselves rather than the company they work for unless you are reading a press release.

Comment

You should also add has done in the case of Red Hat.
                And then they stopped. They were doing something that wasn't great in the past, so decided to fix it. No, I am not going to criticize Red Hat for fixing a problem.

I'm sorry but I don't see why Canonical should solely get lynched for using CLAs when others have used them or still do, there are other, and far more valid reasons to criticise them.
                You must be really new to open-source software if you think that Canonical is the only one who gets criticized for having a CLA.

Comment

And then they stopped. They were doing something that wasn't great in the past, so decided to fix it. No, I am not going to criticize Red Hat for fixing a problem.
                  You have seemed to have missed my point - companies and individuals can change their policies, I would argue the only way to effetely prevent CLAs is to have a clause in the licence.

You must be really new to open-source software if you think that Canonical is the only one who gets criticized for having a CLA.

It would seem that on Phoronix Canonical are the focus for the CLA hatred, but if you would like to have a whinge about another company, then please be my guest.

Comment

You have seemed to have missed my point - companies and individuals can change their policies, I would argue the only way to effetely prevent CLAs is to have a clause in the licence. It would seem that on Phoronix Canonical are the focus for the CLA hatred, but if you would like to have a whinge about another company, then please be my guest.
                    You CANNOT including any such clause in a license since a license does not apply to a copyright holder. You don't seem to understand the legal basis or purpose of CLA at all. There are several Phoronix users who have complained about CLA in other projects as well but you seem to notice only one company apparently.

Comment

You have seemed to have missed my point - companies and individuals can change their policies, I would argue the only way to effetely prevent CLAs is to have a clause in the licence.
                      My point is that you are essentially saying that if someone does something we disapprove of, we should let them off the hook because someone else might do something similar. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If we used that policy consistently then we could never criticize anyone for anything, heck our entire legal system would break down.

It would seem that on Phoronix Canonical are the focus for the CLA hatred, but if you would like to have a whinge about another company, then please be my guest.
                      You joined in May, several months after the whole Mir debacle started. If you had been here during a period where another group with a similar CLA situation to Canonical was in the open-source news a lot, then you would see just as much criticism of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X