No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Microcode For All GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before we released the microcode and Alex updated the DRM code, R300 microcode was being used for the R4xx, 5xx and 6xx GPUs (although nobody was running 6xx with the command processor yet). We mostly wanted to make sure that we had the right microcode out there and being used.

I doubt we ever tried running R4xx or R5xx parts with R3xx microcode so it's hard to say what bugs are fixed. The main change I would expect to see is fewer mysterious GPU hangs. I haven't checked if the microcode we pushed for R100/R200/R300 was any different from what was already being used -- I'll put it on the list of things to do *after* we get R6xx 3D docs out
    Test signature

Comment

R6xx 3D docs is out, so what's status of this checking? That blob is different from old blob, or not?

Comment

Hm, in this thread it looks like the microcode stuff isn't so hard secret and complicated stuff. Now that Debian put the nonfree firmware out of the default repository, it would really be cool to have free firmware, like nvidia has. Could reverse engineering be allowed, at least for the non-drm-capable hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot3 View Post
          Hm, in this thread it looks like the microcode stuff isn't so hard secret and complicated stuff. Now that Debian put the nonfree firmware out of the default repository, it would really be cool to have free firmware, like nvidia has. Could reverse engineering be allowed, at least for the non-drm-capable hardware?
          Totally agree with you. It would be nice indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X