Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: AMD Releases Microcode For All GPUs

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Afaik the R600 3D documentation in one of the next candidates. Please confirm!

    I have a Radeon X700 (r410) in my Notebook and i am very happy that the "low end" documentation is released.
    Last edited by fragro; 03-19-2008 at 06:43 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,514

    Default

    RV670 microcode was included in today's release, along with RV620 and RV635. For the register specs, tried to pick one chip which was representative of the entire family, since the registers are pretty much the same across all the variants. We went with the docs for mobile parts (mobile uses more features of the chip). Going with a mobile part means choosing a low end or midrange GPU, but it doesn't matter since the registers are the same anyways.

    There are a couple of exceptions, like the RV515 memory controller registers having a different offset than the rest of the R5xx family. The latest parts (rv620/635) are also significantly different so we have one of those docs in the queue for cleanup and public release (the radeonhd devs have the info under NDA already).
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-19-2008 at 06:54 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,514

    Default

    frago, R600 3D is next on the list but there is still a fair amount of work to be done on the document.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    138

    Default Thank You!

    I really appreciate AMD's support of open source drivers, and will recommend AMD graphics cards and processors whenever I have the opportunity!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28

    Default

    so what about RC410?
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
    Last edited by sid350; 03-19-2008 at 07:12 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    frago, R600 3D is next on the list but there is still a fair amount of work to be done on the document.
    I see there is many work to do, but i am glad that documentation/implementation is going on. In deed we has to spent respect these Developers which have still a lot to do now!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sid350 View Post
    so what about RC410?
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
    Afaik this chip is very special and makes developers strange headage. (sorry i don't know where i read this)

    generic informations are here:
    http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,514

    Default

    The RC410 3D engine is covered by the R3xx 3D register spec we released (last week ?), and most of the remaining hardware was covered by the original R200-era documentation. There are still a few gaps in the documentation but they're getting smaller.

    The integrated parts were a pain for the developers because they didn't have programmable vertex shaders and so the 3D engine needed to be set up differently. Without docs that was *really* difficult -- with docs it's just difficult

    The RS780 (aka 780G) graphics core seems to have all of its shaders intact, so there should be some happy 3D developers once they get around to working on the 780.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    RV670 microcode was included in today's release, along with RV620 and RV635. For the register specs, tried to pick one chip which was representative of the entire family, since the registers are pretty much the same across all the variants. We went with the docs for mobile parts (mobile uses more features of the chip). Going with a mobile part means choosing a low end or midrange GPU, but it doesn't matter since the registers are the same anyways.

    There are a couple of exceptions, like the RV515 memory controller registers having a different offset than the rest of the R5xx family. The latest parts (rv620/635) are also significantly different so we have one of those docs in the queue for cleanup and public release (the radeonhd devs have the info under NDA already).
    That makes sense and hey thanks for the info and a fast response.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Thumbs up

    I'm really excited about this
    I bought a HD3650 DDR2, the hardware is more than just great for the price, now it seems the support will follows. I can't wait for the day where I can say "Yeah, AMD is much more bang for buck AND has more support"
    Things sure seem to be heading that way and fast with everyone working on their own driver claiming their method is better for whatever reason. The only clear winner here is the consumer. =]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •