Thread: Doom 3 native on Linux

Hybrid View

Default Doom 3 native on Linux

My pc is dual boot windows 7 and openSUSE 12.3 (Linux)

I bought this game, through steam, together with roe.
    Played it on win 7, and it worked.

Since steam came to Linux, I am trying to reboot into windows as little as possible.
    Because Doom 3 should work on Linux too, I used google, and found this:

http://anton.logvinenko.name/en/blog/ho ... linux.html

It all worked fine, but when I start doom 3, it wants me to fill in the cd key.

So I quitted doom 3, en used my file browser to find the cd key in steam on windows.
    I found it , it was 16 characters long.

I tried to type it in a few times, but I get invalid cd every time.
    Then tried copying the key file from windows to Linux.

That did not work either.

Does anybody know any legal solutions on how to solve this ?

Some one sugested,
    find a copy of the D3 GPL code w/o CD key, compile and use that.
    I have never compiled anything.
    So I need a little help.

Or are there maybe better solutions?

I did found this, but I am already lost on what to download.
    https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3

Have you tried this install file? http://www.1337-server.net/doom3/doo...1.1304.x86.run

This might work - all you then need is the data files & the product key.

That is the same file I already downloaded, and it seems to work, until I have to fill in the cd key.

I did found this however:

http://wiki.iodoom3.org/Downloading_...ng_under_Linux

The part that worries me though:

Setting up the keys

The original source code includes a CD-KEY protection mechanism to avoid piracy. Even if it is trivial to remove this protection once the sources are available, we encourage you not to do so as a sign of respect for all the great work they do at ID Software. Just remember this: if we play nice, in a few years they will open source Rage's engine . Please, buy the original game.

When you buy the original game you will receive a "key". Place it in the following file:

That is what I already tried, but did not work.

So I would need to compile and take out the protection part.

To me it looks the steam keys are different form the ones on a jewelcase.

The frustrating part is as usual, I would probably not have this issue if I had a pirated doom 3....
    Last edited by Gps4l; 09-09-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Hi.

I recommend that you use the dhewm3 code which it's greatly improved over the official binary. Exact compiling instructions are on github. Note that I do not condone piracy, but removing the protection mechanism is truly trivial and you don't even need programming skills - start by grep'ing for "*******" (guess!) and use your basic knowledge of the English language. That being said, you should make sure that you typed in the cdkey correctly - it should be 18 characters long and not contain any spaces or dashes. If you still have problems, then you're better off talking to id's support team than random forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by Xipeos View Post
    Hi.

I recommend that you use the dhewm3 code which it's greatly improved over the official binary. Exact compiling instructions are on github. Note that I do not condone piracy, but removing the protection mechanism is truly trivial and you don't even need programming skills - start by grep'ing for "*******" (guess!) and use your basic knowledge of the English language. That being said, you should make sure that you typed in the cdkey correctly - it should be 18 characters long and not contain any spaces or dashes. If you still have problems, then you're better off talking to id's support team than random forum members.
    I have bought Doom 3 and roe through steam.

The two keys I did find, steam\steam apps\common\doom 3 ( or something like that ) are only 16 characters long.
    I tried many times both keys, but the result is the same.

I suspected that to be the problem, but why the keys in steam differ, from the ones on the jewelcases, is beyond me.

I emailed support ( support04@bethsoft.com) and this is the answer I got:

Hello

This game does not support linux. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. I suggest you just keep playing it on windows 7.

best Regards
    Chris T

So they basically don't want to help me.

So the only options I have, play on windows or compile myself and take out the copy protection part.
    Or use some illegal stuff, which I do not think I have to specify, we all know they exist.

I am tempted to answer this support email in a not very friendly manner, but that wont solve my problem.

Thank for the link, I will have a look at it.

Are you sure you bought the original Doom 3, and not the BFG Edition? Doom 3's keys are 18 characters long, and your 16 char key won't get you anywhere, regardless of how many times you try it.

IF you have BFG, then you need the BFG port, which was indeed never (officially or otherwise) supported on linux.

As for id's support team, you should have told them that the cd key doesn't work without mentioning linux - the linux porter (ttimo) left that company some time ago.