Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Now Has DPMS Power Management Support

Phoronix: Mir Now Has DPMS Power Management Support

Support was committed to Mir on Friday for handling Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) so that monitors will be able to enter down their power-down/sleep state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

DPMS Power Management Support
    I thought we were gonna have another recursive acronym on our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
      I thought we were gonna have another recursive acronym on our hands.
      First we have Display Power Management Signaling, then Display Power Management Support, when in actuality it is Don't Provoke Mir's Shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Even with all dem haters the Canonical programming Gods go ahead with their master plan and don't listen to the FOSS naysayers. Go Canonical! You shouldn't listen to the community, their ideas suck! Think about it, if they were so good, they would have already dominated the market place, but it was necessary for Ubuntu to come in order to have a real chance of getting over 1%.
        If Canonical did things better than half-assed no one would complain.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          If Canonical did things better than half-assed no one would complain.
          If canonical made the perfect software with the purest of open source licence licence in the world and upstreamed it all... people would still bitch. Lets not kid ourselves here.

Comment

Originally posted by allenmaher View Post
            If canonical made the perfect software with the purest of open source licence licence in the world and upstreamed it all... people would still bitch. Lets not kid ourselves here.
            "people bitch"

Comment

Originally posted by allenmaher View Post
              That's somewhat true, but there has been a lot of reason behind the hate of certain things canonical does. With Mir in particular, they basically just made something new because they didn't invest enough research time in wayland and for whatever reason, wanted a different license. That's not helping out the community, so the community gets pissed. Then there's things like pushing software on us that wasn't ready yet, such as pulseaudio. PA is fine today, but canonical pushed it way too early. Unity is another thing - nobody asked for it, yet they pushed it on everyone anyway. I personally think unity is a fine interface, but not so much for productive purposes, as it's a little slow and clumsy for switching between multiple tasks.

People don't like change for the sake of change, and they especially don't like it when their experience worsens because of it. Mir as of right now is overall worse than wayland, and while it's catching up REALLY fast, the point is canonical could have put all that manpower into developing wayland.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 September 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I personally think unity is a fine interface, but not so much for productive purposes, as it's a little slow and clumsy for switching between multiple tasks.
                Unity is geared towards productivity and fast task switching, i.e. the exact opposite direction of where Gnome is heading.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Unity is geared towards productivity and fast task switching, i.e. the exact opposite direction of where Gnome is heading.
                  You're stating your personal opinion as a fact. Suggest to learn what a opinion is.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                    You're stating your personal opinion as a fact. Suggest to learn what a opinion is.
                    You are right, I forgot to add IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X