Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    you know Canonical contributed only 0.1 per cent to the kernel you call all these big player bad but they help linux out more then any one will ever know
    you're trying hard to make intel look like the bad guys but Canonical is the one who back stabbed them
    What would Canonical contribute to the kernel? They're a distro maker.

Google is far, far, far, far, far further out there on their own than Canonical is... but they get a pass here only because they have the #1 mobile OS... and Linux geeks love to brag about that. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      The problem is easy: is Mir one-distro solution? YES
      Should be one-distro solution merged upstream? NO.
      End of story.
      The source file are open so you can apply patch downstream, right?
      Perfect! Apply the patches downstream and bye bye.
      They have created Mir only to control the display server/compositor, no other reason, so why Intel should care less to maintain it?
      Hey canonical, do you like play alone? Then play alone and enjoy it!
      Does this standard apply to Android as well?

I remember all the crying here about how Android was off on its own branch somewhere and drivers and patches weren't being merged upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Google is far, far, far, far, far further out there on their own than Canonical is... but they get a pass here only because they have the #1 mobile OS... and Linux geeks love to brag about that. Am I wrong?
        yeah goolge's chrome os is really just gentoo linux

Does this standard apply to Android as well?

I remember all the crying here about how Android was off on its own branch somewhere and drivers and patches weren't being merged upstream.
        Android's Kernel is so far out of tree can you even call it Linux? it's not using a standard kernel at all
        most people hate android any ways

Comment

its fully as hell when you Mir fanboys was bashing all over Wayland and now intel said Canonical can fuck off all of you fanboys get so pissy cry a little more i love to see them tears
          One announcement that was corrected had an inaccuracy about wayland... the rest of the bashing has been pretty one sided.

I will use ubuntu in the future, it is still a great distro and I like the unity DE, I will like it more when it is rewritten in QT/QML and does not have to depend on gtk. As an ubuntu user i have no problem with MIR, if it works, great. I have no problem with Wayland working and being great. I won't be using gnome shell or lxde so it does not affect me. My question is this, since no one is forcing you to use Mir why do you care?

Of course Intel which has an investment in wayland is going to take this action. Who cares, the patches exist and I will be getting them from the ubuntu repositories anyway.

I have noticed linuxgamer that not a thread on Ubuntu goes by without you chiming in and saying something in the same vein as the comment above, how is is that you have any right to accuse others of bashing and fanboism?

For the record, there are no tears shed here over the announcement, sorry to spoil your fun.

Comment

AMD procs are fine by me

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            What are you going to do then, buy AMD CPUs? Ahahahah
            Why not? I've had great results with them, especially for video editing. In Libx264 encoding, Bulldozer and Piledriver 8 core procs are a match for anything but the expensive Intel "**-bridge-E" procs. Even Phenom II x4 isn't that far behind, taking maybe 2 minutes to every 1 1/2 minutes of render time for 1080p or 720p H264 videos made from AVCHD clips.

The fix for single-threaded games that perform no better on Bulldozer than on an overclocked Pentium 4 Prescott at the same clock speed is obvious: writing multithreaded code for them, or accepting that they work today like they worked in the past.

Ironinically, this issue is one of the few Intel decisions I agree with. If I ran a factory that made video cards or CPUs with onboard video, no way in hell I would make my drivers support 4 different video servers (Windows, X11, Wayland, and Mir) instead of three just for a single distro, it's just too much work for the expected return. This goes double with the migration of Ubuntu users to non-Unity desktops or to Mint.

Comment

Why is there so much anger going back and forth?
              Canonical (just like Android) is separating themselves in order to be able to better control their own product. They want to be able to make a x server that will work with both mobile devices and desktops alike.
              Google and Android manufacturers have to do all the work to support Android and Canonical should also for Mir. If Mir becomes adopted by other distributions in the future, then Intel will likely support it, too. In the meantime, supporting Mir just means spending more money on something that will only help ONE company and ONE community.

Is Ubuntu a large player in the Linux world? Yes.
              Is Ubuntu the largest player in the Linux world. No.

Ubuntu's main problem is that it keeps forking everything in order to make it compatible with their own set of custom apps that no one else uses or develops for. This means that there is a HUGE amount of maintenance for their forks. Every time some app gets updated, Ubuntu has to take its time to update its version and incorporate all its changes without breaking something. This, unfortunately, also leads to many more bugs appearing in the Ubuntu version of apps. I do agree that it isn't Intel's job to do this maintenance just like it wouldn't be the job of the developers of KDE to spend hundreds of man hours making sure KDE is compatible with Ubuntu just in case someone who uses Ubuntu wants to install KDE.
              The above is pretty much what a few of you have already said.

Comment

who said it was just based on politics and if Canonical was really communicating upstream to the vendors like they claim then why did this patch get removed? far as we know it was a rogue developer who committed it and who says it did not break or gimp Xorg or Wayland?
                All the management said was they disagree with Canonical and don't want to work with them. There's no evidence to support it's anything but political, no mention of breaking or stability issues.
                Canonical is very much being forthcoming and open to driver devs at this point. They are trying to collab with all sorts of groups and project managers. But there is so much frustration revolving around Mir, many don't feel like working with them. I suspect when someone says "it's a one distro solution, so we won't work toward making out software compatible" are really just saying "you guys were dicks, so now you have the pleasure of dealing with people being upset at you."
                It's all a vicious cycle. They disagree on how things should be done and now Canonical is getting walled off from both the inside and outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
                  AFAIK, most Ubuntu-preinstalled PC sold around the world (eg. more than 1000 Dell shops in China) come with Intel hardware.
                  One could think that the business logic for Intel would be to ensure that the future default display server of Ubuntu is fully compatible with their driver.
                  This would be relevant only if most of Intel hardware comes with Ubuntu installed. Otherwise, it's a marginal loss.

It's not like RedHat or other contributors of the free graphic stack. Intel has commercial reasons ($$$) to support Ubuntu.
                  And the investment they did on Wayland is not a commercial reason to do everything they can to stick to it? They probably put a lot more money than Ubuntu laptops gives them, and that's why on their book, maintaining Mir is just a loss.

[/QUOTE]
                  Evidently, there was an internal debate at Intel (the patch was fine and it's suddenly worth reverting).
                  I would like to know what has changed in the last three days. And what level is the "Management" who took this decision.[/QUOTE]
                  Or, devs said "yeah, we can maintain this, so merge it already" without consulting and then management decided they shouldn't.

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                  Here we go again I thought this clown had finally gone away. RedHat == Linux, Suse == Linux, Ubuntu == an unsustainable project with no real direction propped up by a multi millionaire. If Canonical really wanted to make a difference they would pick one thing and do it well, not try to do everthing at once resulting in low quality all round.
                  I wonder what BO$$ does for a living. He always talks about basement dwellers with no future, so his life must be a lot of excitement and opportunities. Or maybe he's just writing for this basement dwellers on Phoronix. I wonder where this puts him

Comment

Amazing. Nearly 100 comments and still no one has pointed out how much, on these same Phoronix forums, Intel gets criticized for NIH syndrome regarding the graphics stack. Hypocrisy in action, hurrah!

And no, I am not a Canonical fanboy. I've described my displeasure with Canonical's technical decisions here before.

Comment

Who is giving Google a pass? Why even bring Google into this?

Comment

Working...
                      X