No announcement yet.

Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nail in Mir's coffin. Intel has always been pragmatic and that's why I like them.

Comment

• Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      Pretty much the opposite: merging a work that help another server display, that is in competition with the one developed by your company, without ASK to your command chain, is more a mistake of that dev than an error of the management.
      The guy who merged it in the first place IS the mantainer.
      If anyone would ask anyone if they could merge it then
      the person to ask would be him.

I wounder if there is a management problem inside Intel
      when someone apperntly tells the mantainer what he
      should and shouldn't do.

If so Intel will get big problems soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$
        Yay! The cult like behavior at its best. Anyone who disagrees isn't allowed here.
        The problem is that you don't disagree. All you do is claiming things without ever backing them up. Please go forward, backup your claims and maybe somebody will take you serious. In the style you try to bring forward your points currently this is simply impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
          Why is there so much hatred on something that doesn't have to be used?

Just sayin'.

Also, what about the positives that Ubuntu's done over the years? There's way too much FUD going on, which is odd considering how much worse companies like Google, Apple, MS, etc are about regarding the openness about stuff. Sure, Canonical doesn't contribute code or anything, but they HAVE changed the way people look at Linux in general.
          Phoronix Forums is where all 5 of the Ubuntu haters hang out. And they are quite a loud bunch dedicated to their hatred of all things Canonical. Then you have developers from competitors to Canonical that lurk here too. Namely RedHat and some of them will jump at a chance to bash Canonical and Ubuntu. What gets me is many of the same people who dictate that Canonical must do as they say have not contributed to the Linux ecosystem at all.. let alone as much as Canonical has done. What they have done is contributed to the drama, FUD spreading and so called controversy around what Canonical is doing. What this does is put a bad taste in the mouth of newcomers to Linux. It hurts all of Linux not just Canonical. Also the people that are complaining that Ubuntu is a walled garden are some of the same people running Android on their phones. I'ts strait up hatred and hypocrisy. I remember the days running TWM and some nice folks came out with a window manager called FVWM and oh the tears and the screaming about fragmentation. Then came FVWM95 and the screams continuted with a twist. Next up? KDE and GNOME. Oh it was the end of the world. People were yelling fragmenta....... Then Red Hat became the most evil company in the world. How? Well because they quit releasing binaries without you paying for it. I remember the noise of all the Red Hat bashing when that happend. Meanwhile we have Enlightment, LXDE, XFCE, Window Maker, Fluxbox, IceWM, Sawfish, ...... So when you see the haters and trolls on here spreading anti-Ubuntu FUD just remember they have an agenda. Over the years I have installed Ubuntu on several hundred computers and laptops for people coming from Windows and it has been fairly painless compared to any other distro I have used for the purpose of migrating people from Windows to Linux. So while these people sit here and whine and spread FUD I will continue on my mission to convert people from Windows to Linux and the tools I use for that is Ubuntu and Linux Mint if something truly better comes alone that Joe Public can use without having to know Linux then guess what? I'll start installing that instead. Talk is cheap. Where the rubber meets the road is what matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Intel just went pussy. Now the real pros at Canonical will have to do the work. No problem with that.

But if this trend continues and idiotic companies and idividual start screwing Canonical then Ubuntu will die and Linux will die along with it. Again, Ubuntu == Linux. With the current anti Canonical attitude you can all start moving your stuff from Ubuntu to Windows. Because there is no chance for Linux except through Canonical. In 5 years, with the current attitude, you will all run Windows 8 and like it. Bill Gates might finally win and take everything.

Intel of course has nothing against you moving to Windows after all... less platforms to support.

And this is how Linux will die, by imploding, not by Microsoft doing anything. Isn't it sweet? Stallman and his fanbois were wrong. Proprietary is the only viable way. Because the free world attracts self destructing basement dwellers with no future. He thought that theoretically the free software way is better, without considering what kind of people this movement attracts. Big boys are right, directionless amateurs aren't.
            BO$$ = butthurt Ubuntu/Canonical Fanboy. Intel trolled this 'chump' extra hard...

If Ubuntu == Linux then Canonical would be driving development and upstream projects would actually listen, care about and implement everything that Canonical wants.. But they don't because Ubuntu != Linux and Canonical has very little sway with developers outside of their own developers. Canonical is a company that is most likely losing money year after year and who's projects generally never gain much traction. While there are plenty of Companies involved in Linux, driving develpoment, making loads of money and a lot of cross-polination going on between companies... - Canonical just isn't one of them. Linux isn't dying, nor will it disappear in 5 years, contrary to your repeative moronic opinions and ranting...

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            "...with your current attitude, you can all just start moving your stuff from Ubuntu to Windows..."l
            LOLOLOL. See this is what happens when you've distorted reality in your brain. You think Ubuntu == Linux, therefore everyone using linux must be using Ubuntu (as you said, without Ubuntu, 3 linux users, right? lol. You do know Ubuntu doesn't make up the majority of linux users, don't you?). Anyway, feel free to migrate back to Windows - that would better than us having to read your stupid posts, if you lose interest (in linux) related news / forums... (even putting you on ignore doesn't work - you get quoted anyway)...
            Last edited by ninez; 08 September 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
              If Ubuntu plays their cards right, they might be able to compete with Firefox OS for some of the low-end market.
              This will not happen if they keep their convergence idea. A low-end phone that is supposed to be your digital everything is something most people won't buy.

Comment

• Canonical disapears = nothing bad happens.

Redhat disapears = the shit hits the fan.

Compared with Redhat's contributions and the developers they support, Canonical isn't even a gnat's fart in a storm.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  In the consumer market Ubuntu is pretty popular. Saying anything else means lying. The Canonical marketing machine works pretty well and for a lot of people, the first contact with Linux is through Ubuntu. If Ubuntu dies, a lot of people will never try Linux. Thus, Linux will be used only by the 3 users left. And when you'll realize that one application that you need to use doesn't exist on Linux you will move back to Windows ASAP. And the dev, realizing there are only 3 users left, will not bother porting. And when one of those users needs some application that is only on Windows, they will move to Windows also. And then there will be only 2 left.... And the cycle will continue, you get it. Ubuntu is mostly a marketing machine to attract devs to port their applications to Linux. The noise they make is good for Linux. But you people don't seem to understand that.
                  Come on, aren't you tired of this continuous nonsense? Their marketing just plain sucks. Name few programs that were ported to linux thanks to Canonical? Steam doesn't count(because valve want their own console or should i call it entertainment device). And trust me COMPIZ attracted more people to linux than canonical ever did. But thanks to Canonical's false marketing and free CD's we have so many ubuntards, but the good news is, some of them are becoming smart and realize that Canonical's way is FAIL way and leave ubuntu for proper distributions.

Originally posted by allenmaher
                  If canonical made the perfect software with the purest of open source licence licence in the world and upstreamed it all... people would still bitch. Lets not kid ourselves here.
                  But they never did and lol at I F
                  Last edited by phoen1x; 08 September 2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$
                    They can choose whatever path they want. You people just don't want to accept that they can do that and continue with the fuck you Canonical attitude. So much for freedom in FOSS.....
                    but...

if this trend continues and idiotic companies and idividual start screwing Canonical then Ubuntu will die and Linux will die along with it.
                    So, Canonical can do what they want (back a project, then after everyone's behind it, decide behind closed doors for so many months that they like their own project better), but if Intel accepts a single(!) patch, then publicly and quickly in the open decide they don't want it, they're the death of Linux?

Originally posted by Foghorn Leghorn
                    Stand up boy, you're trippin' over your own feet. Now you stay away from worms and I'll stay away from mice. That's fair and square, and if you'd stop all your arguin' and jawin', you'd see my side of it!
                    Anyway, it's not a big deal. If it's such a simple patch, it can be managed out of tree, or Canonical can find a way to make Mir/Xmir work with the Wayland infrastructure. Intel won't die by not supporting Mir (they've got discrete motherboard graphics, if nothing else), and neither will Canonical die by not supporting Wayland...they'll just have to work ten times harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by matel View Post
                      The real victim(s): the Intel dev(s) who made the patches. He/she/they thought implementing support was a good idea to spend some time on. After all the work was done, management came to tell that all that work was useless and had to be reverted. I guess you all can agree that this kind of management style is very unmotivating for the dev(s). If management did not want support for XMir, they had to tell their employees in advance. Not after all the work was done. It seems Intel management is abusing their workforce for strategical reasons: to spread FUD regarding Canonical's plans to conqueror the mobile device market.

I really hope some technology company sees this opportunity. I guess there are Intel devs who are open for a new carreer opportunity.
                      Well, at worst this means Intel has the same kind of management as Canonical. They hid the fact they weren't going to use Wayland from their LightDM maintainer. He found out with the announcement, as everybody else, and lose months working on support for a technology they will not use.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      If Ubuntu plays their cards right, they might be able to compete with Firefox OS for some of the low-end market.
                      This will not happen if they keep their convergence idea. A low-end phone that is supposed to be your digital everything is something most people won't buy.

Originally posted by BO$$
                      They can choose whatever path they want. You people just don't want to accept that they can do that and continue with the fuck you Canonical attitude. So much for freedom in FOSS.....
                      Do you happen to understand what freedom means? It means you choose, and you confront the consequences of your choice. Is it freedom if everyone is supposed to go along with you? No, it's not. Canonical chose to create Mir, good for them. Everyone else chose to not go along. If Canonical wants to go Mir, they are free to do so, with the extra work it implies. As simple as that. They are free to do whatever they want, and everyone else is free to say 'fuck you, Canonical'.

Comment

Working...
                      X