Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    If they're a community player, then they need to help the community. But they have virtually never helped out the community in the past with general-use patches. But now!

The switch script for the catalyst driver (to switch from integrated card to dedicated) is "Copyright 2011 Canonical Ltd.".

Canonical developpers are developping the gallium DRI interface version 7, that is necessary to support Prime on Wayland for non-intel GPU.

These are what I see, there are in no doubt much more contributions, but maybe not where you search.

Comment

To be expected since Intel's main enemy is ARM and Mir will promote mobile devices.

Oh Well Intel is going the way of the Dodo Bird. Clubbed to Death by an ARM.

All the more for AMD, and Nvidia to thrive off.

Comment

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
        I guess Intel doesn't want my money. Only the future can tell on which display server ( Wayland, Mir, X?) will become the default Intel has just told the Ubuntu community, don't buy Intel video hardware.
        Nice one! I laughed pretty hard.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          To be expected since Intel's main enemy is ARM and Mir will promote mobile devices.

Oh Well Intel is going the way of the Dodo Bird. Clubbed to Death by an ARM.

All the more for AMD, and Nvidia to thrive off.
          Oh really? Intel Ivy Bridge/Haswell is MUCH more efficient clock-for-clock than competing intel-compatible processors, such as AMD FX
          I'm not seeing any ARM CPU's competing with anything but Intel Atom.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
            It's interesting to see Intel management force the XMir removal from the Intel driver just days after it was committed and to publicly state a neutral stance on Canonical's controversial display server.
            Neutral? This...

We do not condone or support Canonical in the course of action they have chosen, and will not carry XMir patches upstream.
            ...does not strike as "neutral" to me. It seems pretty unambiguously to be saying "we didn't ask you to create your own, redundant, useless NIH display solution, and we're not going to take on the burden of maintaining it for you".

Canonical made their bed, now they need to lie in it. Maybe now they see what an atrocious mistake Mir was and gain the good sense to revert that decision and walk back to the light. Wayland is the Way of the future. Mir is nothing but a huge mistake and huge pain in the ass for all involved.

Comment

lol @ "The Management"

Intel is pretty much irrelevant in the mobile market anyhow. No loss.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                It means that if Canonical wants to do Mir, then Canonical needs to hire its own driver developer who will maintain Mir patches to Intel drivers within the Ubuntu repositories.

I think this is a good thing. Canonical can be free all they want to do what Canonical wants to do. But they need to do all of the extra work as well then. They need to hire an AMD driver developer who will maintain patches within the Ubuntu repositories, they need to hire other developers who will maintain other Ubuntu-specific things as well.

Consider the other well known walled-gardens out there:
                Google has its own developers for Android who develop and maintain Android-specific things.
                Apple has its own developers for MacOS.

Canonical wants to have a walled garden but then steal from us. I say BS. If they're a community player, then they need to help the community. But they have virtually never helped out the community in the past with general-use patches. But now! Now they are more than happy to submit patches to this project, that driver group, so that their pet Mir is supported and maintained........ by someone else. That's just wrong.

Now maybe.... MAYBE if Canonical did in years past make it a policy be heavy contributors all over the place, and then years they come up with Mir and want to have their patches submitted. Well, at least you have been a part of the team.

But for right now? You didn't put in on this, Canonical. All you do is take take take take take take take take take. And expect everybody else to do the heavy lifting.
                The big thing about Ubuntu though is that anybody can contribute to Linux or Ubuntu, but I can see where you're going with what you're saying. I don't agree however that Canonical has done nothing but "take take take etc". While they haven't contributed code, per sae, they HAVE changed how Linux is looked at, it's for mainstream users to check out and see what they like, so in order for that to happen, they would have to follow their own vision instead of what the community wants, if they did then it would be the same as Linux Mint, it'd be popular with the community, but barely penetrate what actually goes on in the corporate world as well as the mainstream users.

By changed how Linux is looked at, it's much more than code, it's about the GUI interface, what everybody is familiar with, it's the installation process that helps people out by working with them instead of you doing all of the work (like Arch or Gentoo), Linux hasn't changed anything and Canonical/Ubuntu is trying to change that. Nobody cares about their freedom in the mainstream world, I should know, I'm one of those, but I'm looking in to why privacy matters and stuff like that. To quote Mark, "This isn't a distro for l33t users".

(Offtopic rant)

I'm mixed about a lot of things in the open source/technology world, Canonical, Google, Apple, MS, etc. do make questionable decisions, but if it caters to the mainstream, people will just eat it all up. When it comes to catering to the mainstream users (privacy), the privacy or freedom community is either going to fuck with them OR they just say "go back to using Windows 8" or basically say "we don't want you here". Then there's the companies, the ones that give you what you like a lot, but privacy IS a pretty big sacrifice.. but that's pretty much it, they do cater to people who actually need time to work rather than configure.

When it comes down to it, it's obvious that the freetards just don't really care about the mainstream audience and are closed-minded that seriously need a reality check when it comes to people like myself that care about privacy to an extent, but would like to have some things that are convenient.

Comment

apperently Intel is not impressed by the gigantic Ubuntu marketshare....

I thought canonical was in discussion with the hardware vendors. If they not had bigger succes with nvidia and AMD the future for the closed driver looks dark for Mir.
                  Last edited by Akka; 07 September 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Nice one Intel!

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when this was decided. I mean, the patch was ready to go and now this. It's like someone, probably junior, set the patch ready for inclusion, then someone more senior cut them off at the knees.

Whether or not this is the case, the message is loud and clear. Intel are giving Canonical the middle finger with regards to Mir. It's a very public vote of no confidence. It can't be encouraging for Ubuntu fans that the company with the most open graphics driver is doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      lol @ "The Management"

Intel is pretty much irrelevant in the mobile market anyhow. No loss.
                      Not as irrelevant as Canonical. Badum-tss.

Comment

Working...
                      X