GNOME On Wayland Is Good For GNOME 3.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    I have seen similar bugs on F19, have yet to see it on F20..
    Care to post a link or two?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      No. But I have seen those issues mentioned in that bug. But not in early F20. So far.
      OK, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: GNOME On Wayland Is Good For GNOME 3.10

In recent days and weeks there have been many Phoronix news stories about Wayland support improvements going into different GNOME components like the GNOME Shell and GTK+ tool-kit. The GNOME 3.10 official release is due later this month and overall the support for running GNOME Shell on Wayland appears in rather good standing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1NDY
        Congrats & keep it up! The world needs a rock solid DE! Gnome's always been a major part of the desktop landscape and continues to keep the commitment alive! Can't wait to try out all the work.

Comment

Well done GNOME!

GOGO EGL support from nVidia, and Premium Video Extension on browsers supporting Linux systems.
          I'm really looking forward to completely ditching M$, Wine, and for the most parts X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            Congrats & keep it up! The world needs a rock solid DE! Gnome's always been a major part of the desktop landscape and continues to keep the commitment alive! Can't wait to try out all the work.
            Except that it's not quite rock solid. As mentioned earlier, with them focusing on Wayland support they caused up a ton of regressions and new bugs (granted, on the wayland branch only).

Also, not much work went into bug-fixes for the new features of 3.10 (X11 version) so don't expect the initial release to be very usable. I'd say to wait to use it until the first bugfix release :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
              Michael seems to be neglecting the known regressions list which is huge. Starting with performance and then drag and drop not working and no clipboard manager.
              Yeah, there's still a fair way to go. But it sounds like the core pieces are done... what's left are the things that weren't critical to get things running, things that could be put to one side and fixed later. Things severe enough to block a release, but which don't get in the way of people working on other parts of the porting effort.

It's the usual story for porting jobs... there's a certain amount of effort that's a bottleneck, that has to be completed by a small number of people before you can start throwing people at problems...

Comment

any word when xwayland will be merged? any ideas?

Comment

mmm, the strange part is Michael mentions that performance it not on par/better than X. I thought a port to Wayland would magically boost performance without the need to optimize the code. I just hope there aren't surprises at the end resulting on X being faster than Wayland, maturity will tell (3 more years?)

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    mmm, the strange part is Michael mentions that performance it not on par/better than X. I thought a port to Wayland would magically boost performance without the need to optimize the code. I just hope there aren't surprises at the end resulting on X being faster than Wayland, maturity will tell (3 more years?)
                    i don't like gnome shell but ill reply anyway the gnome team did a fast port to get in up and running for development and to show off at the upcoming linuxcon's and if you look at E19 even in development it boots over 30% faster under wayland vs xorg

this is what you're talking about?
                    Other items still being looked at by developers is the Wayland performance not yet being up to par, keyboard accessibility has some issues, and there's a handful of bugs that are considered regressions in GNOME 3.10.
                    even the raspberry pi gains a lot of graphics speed using wayland>xorg

it was 100% stupidly for Canonical to use the mir fork over wayland

Comment

If anyone here mentions this stupid meaningless buzzword "fast/faster" again I'll punch him through his monitor...

Comment

Working...
                      X