Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Gains Aggressive Extent Caching, Improved Recovery

Phoronix: EXT4 Gains Aggressive Extent Caching, Improved Recovery

Ted Ts'o has filed his EXT4 file-system changes for the Linux 3.12 kernel, which includes two new features and various other fixes/refinements for this widely-used and stable Linux file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ext5?

ext4 keeps on gaining new features.
    Will there ever be a ext5?

I guess they don't want a new code base, as that would mean more maintenance and more backporting and forwardporting bugfixes.

This new feature makes benchmark of ext4-latest vs btrfs-latest more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I guess they don't want a new code base, as that would mean more maintenance and more backporting and forwardporting bugfixes.

This new feature makes benchmark of ext4-latest vs btrfs-latest more interesting.
      definitely makes it interesting. they only like to increment the version if there's a compellingly good reason to change the on disk format in an incompatible way. the fact that they can get these kinds of improvements said to me that ext4 is probably very well designed. aside from some features like checksumming data I don't think there is much they could add.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

When Ext4 was released it was considered to be a stop-gap solution with Btrfs-- or a Btrfs-like filesystem-- to be the future. Now I don't know if the maintainers still feel that Ext4 is a 'stopgap' solution and Btrfs is still the future, but if they do that would most likely mean no Ext5 unless someone else wants to pick up the maintenance and development.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
        X