Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Drivers Gets Better With Linux 3.12 Kernel

Phoronix: Sound Drivers Gets Better With Linux 3.12 Kernel

The Linux 3.12 kernel will feature improvements to existing sound drivers and there's also some new drivers / audio hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 3.11 kernel fixed a long-standing bug with my USB card and PulseAudio which stopped working randomly sometimes every 20 minutes or so and PulseAudio had to be restarted. It was probably related to my shitty USB controller which triggered a bug in the USB ALSA driver, big thanks to whoever finally fixed it!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      So in 2013 it looks like we will have sound! About time!
      I know you're trolling, but I've had sound for a decade...
      BTW, who unbanned you (and what the fsck were they thinking)?

Comment

And yet radeon HDMI audio is still off by default..
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Compared to Windows the audio stack in Linux sucks shit.
          If you like Windows so much, then why don't you use that and leave us alone? If the cost bothers you, pirate it like everyone else does.

Comment

Compared to Windows the audio stack in Linux sucks shit. Completely amateurish hack. And instead of fixing it, they add more amateurish hacks in a desperate attempt to hide their incompetence.
            What do you feel would be the correct approach, then? Not contradicting you, strictly speaking. I agree that Linux audio is still a mess. But since you like to troll everything, I'm curious to see you offer a solution. What would you do differently?

Comment

Basically throw all the layers that are there now and just rip off the windows solution. Like, copy their design. No need to be original in everything. I hate it when using Jack that I can't listen to music. It looks very amateurish and hackish. Microsoft must have gotten something right.

Right now they correct lower level mistakes by adding another layer.
              Not being familiar with the sound stacks on a code level, I am not in a position to determine whether or not that code should be thrown out completely. However, I agree with your observation that problems appear to be fixed by hacking on additional poorly working layers on top of existing poorly working solutions. Perhaps it really is time to just restart from scratch. I doubt that copying the Windows approach would be viable on account of it being closed source and on account of technical incompatibility. However, Windows can still be used as a model of what success looks like.

Comment

Basically throw all the layers that are there now and just rip off the windows solution. Like, copy their design. No need to be original in everything. I hate it when using Jack that I can't listen to music. It looks very amateurish and hackish. Microsoft must have gotten something right.

Linux sound stack is indeed a mess. however windows is no better. anyone doing pro audio on windows still uses Steinberg ASIO rather than Windows stack- the-jour.

Comment

Would you care to explain how they are different? What design does MS use that Linux hasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                    Linux sound stack is indeed a mess. however windows is no better. anyone doing pro audio on windows still uses Steinberg ASIO rather than Windows stack- the-jour.
                    I have always had better experiences with audio on Windows than on Linux. However, I have only done pro audio (editing and original composition) on Linux, not Windows, so my observations of Windows audio being superior to Linux audio are based on very assymetric experiences. If it is true that people doing pro audio on Windows prefer a 3rd party stack, then I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                    X