Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Driver Changes For Linux 3.12: Not Too Much

Phoronix: Nouveau Driver Changes For Linux 3.12: Not Too Much

For those that were hoping there would be NVIDIA GeForce 400/500/600/700 Fermi/Kepler GPU improvements or better re-clocking or anything fundamentally advanced in the Linux 3.12 kernel for the Nouveau graphics driver, that is not the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reclocking

Too bad no re-clocking support.

Comment

Yeah, this is sad. I know they've worked on pm, I guess then it's not mature enough to be merged upstream yet. My NV50 card still sounds like a jet with nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
        My NV50 card still sounds like a jet with nouveau.
        This bit should not have anything to do with nouveau lacking reclocking support. Support for fan management has been available since december 2012 but we haven't activated it by default because some bugs needed to be ironed out. Linux 3.12 will bring some fixes for that. I am discussing with the maintainer the possibility of enabling automatic fan management by default in Linux 3.12.

See http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...ouveau_thermal to know how to use fan management on Linux 3.10+. Please use the most up to date version of Linux possible though.

Comment

Hi mupuf! Thanks for chiming in here. I will check that out.

Comment

Any ETA for Fermi reclocking ? Many people with optimus laptops are seeing true optimus support coming together for the last few months, but now the only missing thing for massive adoption of nouveau would be the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthes View Post
              Any ETA for Fermi reclocking ? Many people with optimus laptops are seeing true optimus support coming together for the last few months, but now the only missing thing for massive adoption of nouveau would be the performance.
              Trust me, we all know that. This is a huge feature and doing one thing slightly wrong and it will be unstable. This isn't something easy to debug... My laptop would also greatly appreciate some nouveau PM!

Comment

I am just trying out nouveau, and the automatic fan management seems to actually work well. I was happy to notice it works without the nouveau_perflvl_wr kernel parameter.

(for anyone curious, the command for me was echo 2 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable )

Comment

Working...
                X