Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Or you could skip it and http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OnlyBuyLinuxGames

Wine should only be used if you are pirating.
    Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.

Although, I admit, if there's a Linux version of a game, I am much more likely to consider getting the game than I would otherwise. There's been a slow shift in the market to accept Linux as a viable platform and I absolutely love that. But until Linux has as much market share as OSX, than I doubt we're going to get the attention of AAA developers anytime soon. Although, I whole-heartedly believe that Linux will one day be a top tier OS standing alongside Windows and OSX in the marketplace, I still think that is probably many years off. In the mean time, developing Wine is a decent crutch to use until that time comes. I wouldn't recommend it for novice users. It's clearly a power-user tool, but it is a versatile one. And it has made an amazing amount of progress in recent years. Games like Borderlands and Portal 2 which would have been too painful to play a few years ago, run at almost native speeds now.

Comment

I think you're posting in the wrong thread.

Comment

Oh yeah ?!?

So...*where* can i get the LINUX CLIENTS for:

Call of Duty
        Call of Duty 2
        Call of Duty 4 modern Warfare
        Call of Duty World at War
        Call of Duty Modern Warfare
        Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
        Call of Duty Black Ops
        Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

Battlefield 1942
        Battlefield 2
        Battlefield 2142
        Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Company of Heroes
        World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
        Men At War
        Soldiers: Heroes of WW2

ArmA 2
        ArmA 2: OA
        Ironfront: Liberation 1944

etc, etc, etc.

More than 50 of the best (IMHO, YMMV) games in DVD.

ALL games that i OWN LEGIT DVD copies, ALL games that for i payed with my HARD EARNED CASH.

Please...don't BS a BSer.

I'm all in favor for games for Linux but for my pre-"Steam Linux Support" era, i WANT WINE because there is no way in HELL that publishers will make new Linux binaries for them.

Valve did because it has an agenda...called SteamBox.
        BIS did with their old titles because strong influence from Valve.
        Small studios do it because of Valve is pushing them to do it because
        i bet they are giving assistance/incentives because SteamBox.

EA/DICE will NOT do it...they kinda broke up with Steam...maybe one day for new titles/IPs (think 5-10 years from now) but not for old stuff.

Activision/Treyarch/InfinityWard ? NO WAY !
        They will no bother at ALL...*maybe* with new titles/IPs (in same time frame than EA/DICE unless than SteamBox sells really well witch can push to a earlier support) but old stuff ?
        NO way.

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
          Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.
          Its all about numbers. If they already have a Mac version then a Linux version is unlikely to cost much to port. Also NOW is the time to port your game to Linux as you are likely to get more sales now while the is only around 250 games with a 1% of users vs say 800 games with a 2% user base.

Comment

Modified Wine

Can anyone post the link deb file here, I am crazy to try it out

Comment

Originally posted by imamdxl View Post
              Can anyone post the link deb file here, I am crazy to try it out

Linux gaming reddit is very useful place

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com - Come by and say hi sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                I was kind of worried with all the support they'd been giving Mac users, that there wouldn't be any performance upgrades us Linux users would enjoy. I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Been using CrossOver 12.5.0, and have tried COD MW and COD MW2 and while they run, it lags horribly (on a GTX680 with 313 drivers). Hopefully no longer requiring StrictDrawOrdering will help that.

Is this a step in the direction of Wine supporting Multi-core CPUs? I'm not very tech savvy with regards to Wine development, so I don't really understand. If it is support for Multi-core CPUs, would that mean Guild Wars 2 may finally have a playable framerate?

I'm definitely looking forward to this, still wish that the CodeWeavers guys would implement some DX11 love before it's too late.
                If you're using Crossover 12.5 you may want to set this registry key for the bottle(s) where you got software that you think might get a boost from what Stefan's patch does.

Code:
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/X11 Driver/NvThreads
                This is a string value and setting its value to 1 enables the "magic". It's the equivalent of setting the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS env variable. As the name suggests, it's only for nvidia users that have the binary blob version 310 and up. I've tested it with SC2 and it doubled my frame rate. However, during the mission "Harvest of screams", when the weather effects happen, your fps will take a dive but it's not connected to the above. Maybe fog and particle effects? I don't know for sure.

I'm going to try Deus Ex: Human Revolution once again when I get the chance. That was a title that required StrictDrawOrdering and the performance was crap.

I can't say something for sure about Borderlands 2 though. Maybe after the battle in Overlook (protecting the lun where there's a lot of stuff happening on screen

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                  http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...r_wine/cc1fw5y

Linux gaming reddit is very useful place

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com - Come by and say hi sometime!
                  OMG www.gamingonlinux.com is one of the best site ever for Linux

Thank you so much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
                    QFT, that's the whole problem with asking for native ports only. Steambox (if it gets ever released) might change that a bit, also the fact that porting to Linux is now much easier than ever but even then Windows will still be the leading platform for DESKTOP gaming. Personally I was hoping for more but there's simply no reason to switch to Linux if all the games you want are on Windows, people would rather upgrade to Windows 8 or stay on Windows 7 for the time being.
                    Then again, time is working for Linux as it's very, very strong on the whole mobile sector and here the same rules apply: why should users switch away from Android/iOS to Windows? Especially if you've bought already many games/apps for a specific platform you might hesitate to just abandon it.

So, I would say that we've lost already when it comes to desktop gaming, granted we'll get ports because it's easier than ever but Linux will never be a very strong desktop gaming platform and many publishers will keep ignoring it. This is why I consider wine as very, very important. And I'm looking quite happily into the future, knowing that Unix (*BSD via iOS & PS4; Linux via Android) is the absolute leader on a future market.

Comment

Code:
                      Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz
                      NVIDIA Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]
                      KWIN without effects, unigine is running in a window at 800x600
                      vsync is off
                      Just tried, it works as expected, wow.

Unigine valley under wine at 800x600 on a poor nvidia 9500GT

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + Opengl: 11->25fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + D3D + CSMT=disabled: 8->13fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + WINE + D3D + CSMT=enabled: 11->21fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 + Native Opengl: 12->24fps

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + Opengl: 13->24fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + CSMT=disabled: 6->9fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + WINE + CSMT=enabled: 10->20fps
                      __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 + Native Opengl: 13->24fps

So in short in my system:
                      Not expected:
                      • __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 has a bad impact on WINE in all of the cases.

Expected:
                      • CSMT enabled leads to 150..200% D3D wine performances without the new patch.
                      • Wine performs as the native version when using the opengl renderer.

Last edited by kokoko3k; 04 September 2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X