Direct3D Performance Improvements Coming To Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
    Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.
    Grumble, grumble... It'd be slightly higher if the Steam survey didn't crash Steam on me every time that it gets to gathering system stats.

Maybe I'll be able to figure something out:
    Mint 15 + Cinnamon
    Kernel 3.11 x86-64
    Mesa/llvm from git
    Radeon 7850 with radeonsi gallium driver + glamor

Comment

Is it more like http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674#c263 ?

Comment

I got this in Metro Last Light:
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          This seems really incredible. Having the WINE compatibility layer implementation being faster than native just shows how crappy the windows codebase really is!
          Call me when every graphical feature is fully supported and working, and the games in question still run faster. You don't get to skip features then claim faster performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            From what I can tell, this has nothing to do with the graphics drivers, but rather a change to how Wine itself handles the D3D code.

Also, the state trackers announced earlier weren't accepted by upstream Wine.
            Why didn't they accept the state tracker patch? Not that I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Why didn't they accept the state tracker patch? Not that I'm surprised.
              Because it is not cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
                Meh, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect game developers to suddenly start developing for Linux. We're less than 1% on Steam.
                Steam Survey is bugged and Wine users get counted as Windows users.

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                Waaaa
                If you can't play it native don't pay for it. Also, it seems you've got some kind of military fetish due to the total lack of variety in your list.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                  Because it is not cross platform.
                  Annnd that's why I'm not surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                    I was kind of worried with all the support they'd been giving Mac users, that there wouldn't be any performance upgrades us Linux users would enjoy. I'm glad to see that's not the case.
                    Wine is multiplatform and the majority of development benefits all platforms (aside from platform-specific stuff). Mac isn't getting any love over linux, except for one stupid commit in Wine that i reverted on my own wine build <and caught wind of it from Marteeen/winepulse developer>; http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia....f4023d2894b5ea

hopefully, they fix that upstream ~ since no audio driver should be requiring 1 sec of latency and certainly a driver only meant for Mac, shouldn't be affecting Linux (which that commit does...lol stupid crap).

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                    Is this a step in the direction of Wine supporting Multi-core CPUs? I'm not very tech savvy with regards to Wine development, so I don't really understand. If it is support for Multi-core CPUs, would that mean Guild Wars 2 may finally have a playable framerate?

I'm definitely looking forward to this, still wish that the CodeWeavers guys would implement some DX11 love before it's too late.
                    Wine already supports multi-threading (i use it all the time), where the problem lies is that wineserver is not multithreaded, so if an app is making a tonne of calls to wineserver, you can get bottlenecks/thrashing. ~ there are a few patches kicking around to improve SMP performance and move some calls out of Wineserver and onto the apps themselves though <they are out-of-tree patches though>. I know that Alexandre <lead Wine developer> has been working on some sort of multi-wineserver, also -> but it's not available publicly, i don't think. ~ maybe by 2.0 something like that might be integrated, who knows...

Comment

Ok wow, this stuff really works. Almost always when i see amazing performance boost claims it turns out to be meh or just total nonsense.
                      But both trackmania 1 and 2 are at about the 200% boost mark. Diablo 3 seems unaffected though, but it was also unaffected by the nvidia threading optimizations. If you get it to run with this patch that is because it seems to crash the agent like crazy and that causes the game to crash at launch 9 out of 10 times.
                      Also did a short test with l4d2 and it seems to be a lot faster as well but more like 180%. But that's still nothing compared to the fps the linux version gets.

Comment

Working...
                      X