No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Drops During August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said this before and I'll say it again - probably at least 75% of all linux steam users are also using the windows version. If you were to reduce the count of windows users by the count of linux users, I'm sure the percentage might increase to almost 2%.

I would have to say, I'm pretty disappointed there are so many 32 bit linux users out there. Seriously, are all of you running P4s?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I would have to say, I'm pretty disappointed there are so many 32 bit linux users out there. Seriously, are all of you running P4s?
      Ubuntu recommends 32 bit. It probably explains the overuse of 32 bit software by people with 64 bit processors.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows... or moved over to OS X.
        Yes Linux had 80% market share and Unity Gnome shell pissed them off.... Linux usage (desktop) never exceeded 1,5% globally. http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201309

Today Linux usage is bigger than ever.
        Last edited by verde; 03 September 2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
          Give me good working graphics driver for my HD 4670M with Ubuntu 12.04 and i will start using steam again...

Hopefully Ubuntu 14.04 will use Kernel 3.11 or above...
          Ubuntu 13.10 is using 3.11 already..
          Last edited by verde; 03 September 2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows
            haha yea sure, they much prefer the Metro UI lol.

with so many DEs (unity, gshell, mate, cinnamon, kde, elementary, xfce, lxde, e17, ,etc. etc. etc.) no one will rarely leave linux becuase of lack of DE option

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post

with so many DEs (unity, gshell, mate, cinnamon, kde, elementary, xfce, lxde, e17, ,etc. etc. etc.) no one will rarely leave linux becuase of lack of DE option
              People love Metro and Windows 8. (*)

(*) compared to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                Yeah, because every version of Windows uses Metro.

Port CSGO and I'll finally make the switch, Valve. I'm not willing to sacrifice ~100 fps just so I can say I'm playing on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
                  Give me good working graphics driver for my HD 4670M with Ubuntu 12.04 and i will start using steam again...
                  You can upgrade to 13.04 or 13.10 and use fresh FOSS driver at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    You can upgrade to 13.04 or 13.10 and use fresh FOSS driver at any time.
                    Do you really have to upgrade the whole OS just to get the latest video driver?

This is a serious weakness if true.

Comment

FWIW I got the survey on the Linux side yesterday so I doubt there's a bug in there.

The results are pretty pathetic but not surprising. It seems to match the overall desktop trend. It's interesting to see that the unreleased Windows 8.1 has about as much marketshare on Steam as all of Linux combined.

It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows... or moved over to OS X.
                      <sarcasm>
                      Really? Last I heard was that they all switched to Cinnamon and Mate on Linux Mint.
                      </sarcasm>

Comment

Working...
                      X