Steam Linux Usage Drops During August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
    If it was running in a window (or fullscreen window) rather than exclusive fullscreen mode, there would be a performance hit.

Also multi-core rendering doesn't really work so you'll want to disable that. You can't disable it in L4D2 in the menu however, due to a bug, so you have to open the console and disable it there by entering "mat_queue_mode 0".
    Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    Thanks John! I will try these things you describe - I definitely would like to run L4D2 on Linux instead of rebooting into Windows.
    I'm curious...
    Have you tried this yet? Did it make any difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernard Swiss View Post
      I'm curious...
      Have you tried this yet? Did it make any difference?
      Actually I think I have to amend my earlier comments a bit.

I run w/ EIST enabled in the BIOS. I think the cpufreq ondemand governor kinda doesn't work (the CPU runs at either lowest frequency or highest frequency or turbo frequency... nothing in between). With the ondemand governor set, I can't disable Multicore Rendering in L4D2 w/o using that console command. And with it on, there are too many stutters. I assume with multithreading the CPU frequency is set low and this causes a bottleneck.

If I use the cpufreq performance governor, Multicore Rendering is disabled by default (but it can be enabled... I think) and performance is fine either way.

So now I just set the governor to performance before playing L4D2.

Ohh and as a side note... I installed Steam on OS X for the first time the other day... and immediately the survey popped up.

Comment

Working...
      X