Favorite minimalist distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite minimalist distro

What is everyone's favorite small/minimalist Linux distribution?

I think my favorite ought to be Damn Small Linux (DSL) or SLAX.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

While I wouldn't go as far as calling Slackware "minimal", you can surely make a minimal install of it. Unchecking X and things that depend on it (KDE, etc.) is a good start. From there you can disable other packages that you'd find redundant, such as the dozen daemons it includes and a bunch of other programs. While this might seem like a hassle to do, I'd definitely prefer that to finding a completely new distro, downloading it, burning it to a CD, installing it and learning/configuring it. I think most distros have the potential to be stripped down and customized.

Comment

Though it's not really considered minimal, Gentoo would be my favorite because you start from the bottom and only install what you need. That's minimal enough for me.

Comment

I've been all about Arch for the last year or so, but I'm about to trash it until they get past their growing pains (HUGE testing > current migrations).

Frugalware looks like a nice project, I think I'll use it to build LFS. Then I'll be able to criticize the Arch devs with a clear conscience

Comment

Working...
        X