Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

Phoronix: Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

GNOME Shell has got another Wayland improvement ahead of the GNOME 3.10 debut next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only XWayland was merged into X11 already it would be pretty much usable with open source drivers.
    Last edited by blackout23; 31 August 2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Great. Yet another sign that Gnome is the leading DE for wayland development and consumption.
      Pitty that it became one of the most annoying DEs to use.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Pitty that it became one of the most annoying DEs to use.
        Since we are throwing our opinions out like facts, I might as well: Gnome 3 is the most productive and comfortable DE to use.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
          Since we are throwing our opinions out like facts, I might as well: Gnome 3 is the most productive and comfortable DE to use.
          Use it then.

Comment

Cool, I hope I'll be able to play with gnome-shell on wayland on arch linux when 3.10 comes out

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
              Let's not get carried away here... and try to at least keep things in the realm of believability.

Comment

I've seen people using it at my work. It seems to be working quite fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                  I've seen people using it at my work. It seems to be working quite fine.
                  Only if you're not an irreformable brick who thinks no possibility to place icon on the desktop is a slander to usability. You know, because Windows 95 defined usability and there's no need to look at it again, is it?

Comment

Icons on desktop

@Bucic is correct, Gnome 2.x and Mate are just so last century.

Personally I hate icons strewn all over a desktop. But, if that is what you want it is one click in Gnome Tweak Tool. Most shell haters never get as far as actually looking at the settings or extensions.

I will be trying the Wayland version with 3.10, one more step into the future.
                    Last edited by grege; 31 August 2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X