Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

Default Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Tests: Unity 7.1, KDE 4.11, Xfce 4.10, GNOME 3.8

To end off August we have benchmarks up of five popular desktop environments running on Ubuntu 13.10 as of Friday. With feature freeze passing, we now have a good look at the desktop competition for Ubuntu 13.10 and how each of the desktops perform.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19086

Unity, on the other hand, isn't. It's a generally well performing desktop environment now.

Thanks for the benchmarks!

Why did you use XRender mode as opposed to raster for the Qt tests? Raster has been considered the standard for a while now.

The culptrit of the kde slowness is the widget set.
    Use oxygen/oxygen-gtk under unity or xfce and you'll get the same slowness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Unity, on the other hand, isn't. It's a generally well performing desktop environment now.
    Surprisingly...

I'm curious how these desktops compare on older pc's. This is especially interesting since windows xp support is soon coming to a end.

...XRender?

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    Surprisingly...

I'm curious how these desktops compare on older pc's. This is especially interesting since windows xp support is soon coming to a end.
    I am guessing LXDE and XFCE are the only usable desktops on older PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    I am guessing LXDE and XFCE are the only usable desktops on older PCs.
    Unity is not usable on any pc simply because of its horrible design. It's like going Windows8

I'm a bit surprised how shit KDE is since that was the DE i was thinking to try next. I guess i will wait for framework5 and see if their new generation of qt magic is up to par with the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Unity is not usable on any pc simply because of its horrible design. It's like going Windows8
    Agreed. The only thing that keeps me coming back to unity is dash. I can find my stuff much quicker with it. I used to use gnome-do but I find dash works better for me. Although I never use any lenses just the plain search.