Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.1 Arrives With Some Minor Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.1 Arrives With Some Minor Improvements

Wine 1.7.1 has been released as the second Wine 1.8 development milestone following the Wine 1.6 release from mid-July. The release isn't terribly exciting, but there's still some good stuff for those still dependent upon Windows application/game support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about that DX9 state tracker support?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      What about that DX9 state tracker support?
      As in the other topics that started at the last wine releases: its platform dependent and the hardware support is too bad.

Comment

maybe wine 1.8 will have some good DX11 support

Comment

So people actually use Wine? Last time I tried it, it was too hard to setup and get the application to actually work, and I was only trying to install IE, nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            ...only trying to install IE, nothing fancy.
            That's about as fancy as you can get... Internet Explorer simply doesn't work on Wine. Many application and games do, without any configuration no less. WineHQ is a great resource for the information on what application work and don't work. Most of the games I'm interested in work with Wine just fine.

Comment

wine?

only some games work, wine is not a solution

Comment

Until the majority of Adobe CS and other creative tools are working, or we get a real step up in games compatibility, no new release of WINE is going to be 'something to get excited about'.

WINE is great if you wanna' play MMOs without GameGuard, or a pretty good breadth of single player games from a year or more ago. But as a real alternative to using Windows, it's got too many holes in compatibility to really work for the majority of gamers or professionals.

That isn't to say that the WINE developers haven't done astoundingly good work against impossible odds. I used to love using WINE to get all kinds of software running on Linux. But with Steam coming around and Linux becoming a stronger platform, I'd rather advocate official channels to get apps on the platform. Not to mention it just feels nicer to have the majority of my apps using the same toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  only some games work, wine is not a solution
                  Proper porting will always be the 'real' solution. But in the real world, proper porting might not happen for a lot of things. For example, most games already released. The other option is reimplementation (for example, what SCUMMVM does) of game engines, but this is not only less likely to happen as games become more complex, but also less likely to cover all of the games (or even all of the relevant to some criteria) as time passes, since there are more and more games. This could or could not be extrapolated to other programs. It could, generically, for no longer maintained programs that interact with a specific file format. For other things, you can just implement a solution that equals the features disregarding compatibility problems.

Comment

Theme

It still uses the the same theme used from Windows 95 throughout Windows 2000.
                    No Windows computer have used that theme for the past 13 years.

It would be cool if they made an (optional) Windows 8 theme.

Comment

Working...
                    X