Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 9.2 X.Org/Mir Ubuntu 13.10 Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Mesa 9.2 X.Org/Mir Ubuntu 13.10 Performance Benchmarks

Mesa 9.2 was finally pushed into the Ubuntu 13.10 archive on Thursday and with the upgrade to the open-source 3D graphics library/drivers come many performance improvements and new features. Mesa 9.2 has already been benchmarked extensively on Phoronix, but with its arrival on Ubuntu 13.10, here are some Intel OpenGL benchmarks looking at the performance of Mesa 9.1.6 (Mesa up to now in 13.10 and previously shipped in Ubuntu 13.04) against the new Mesa 9.2.0 release. Testing happened on both an original X.Org Server and then when running both releases on Mir/XMir.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, the difference is so minor now. Maybe I'll reconsider staying removing Mir and installing Xorg on 14.04. Well, that depends on whether The Bumblebee Project supports Xmir or Nvidia drops proper Optimus support between now and then as well.

Comment

Do a Wayland one

Michael, can you publish a similar (X)Wayland benchmark just to counterbalance?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        Michael, can you publish a similar (X)Wayland benchmark just to counterbalance?
        Xwayland is Garbage Atm and a full Wayland port is only week(s) away

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          Xwayland is Garbage Atm and a full Wayland port is only week(s) away
          Port of what?

Comment

Port of what?
            For testing you will have E19, Gnome, and some time soon KDE all ported to Wayland
            KDE and E19 can run on Wayland atm Martin Gr??lin was running KDE in full Wayland mode weeks ago
            for info on E19 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0MzA

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              For testing you will have E19, Gnome, and some time soon KDE all ported to Wayland
              KDE and E19 can run on Wayland atm Martin Gr??lin was running KDE in full Wayland mode weeks ago
              for info on E19 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0MzA
              I’ve been hearing a lot of grumbling and complaining from users over the past few weeks about how “E18 release is taking so long!” and “E18 doesn’t have all the featur…

According to this comment E18 will be able to run X less. From the horses mouth.

Also this.
              It’s probably been pretty obvious to anyone here, but I am no longer in “full time” development mode for E18. Much of my time lately has been focused on the new hotness and variou…

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                http://e18releasemanager.wordpress.c...1/#comment-525

According to this comment E18 will be able to run X less. From the horses mouth.

Also this.
                http://e18releasemanager.wordpress.c...1/#comment-529
                Nice but you best watch out posting around the same time dh04000 will start calling us the same person

Comment

This is ultimately great/the desired goal, but what of non-gtk/non-Qt apps? I dunno, maybe some people want to run xeyes, for all I care . I thought work was being done on X to modify it in such a way to run reliably atop Wayland (i.e. xWayland) and that X-apps would be able to run unmodified. Has this intention changed, or did I miss something here?

Comment

This is ultimately great/the desired goal, but what of non-gtk/non-Qt apps? I dunno, maybe some people want to run xeyes, for all I care . I thought work was being done on X to modify it in such a way to run reliably atop Wayland (i.e. xWayland) and that X-apps would be able to run unmodified. Has this intention changed, or did I miss something here?
                    Xwayland is being worked on just not readly yet and it will run lets say tux cart and 2d apps etc

Comment

Working...
                    X