No announcement yet.

Composite Bypass Support Sharply Bumps XMir's Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OpenArena total frame time graph is interesting. While X.org has lag spikes, XMir did and still does have a few "lag strips". I wonder what's up with that.

Comment

XMir is getting better every day - nice work devs
      Personally I would be okay with such a small frame loss for games, but I wonder if the performance of XMir may beat pure X.org one day?

Comment

XWayland

I really would like to see a Mir vs Wayland vs X.org vs XMir vs XWayland benchmark.

Wayland vs Mir.
        XWayland vs XMir.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I really would like to see a Mir vs Wayland vs X.org vs XMir vs XWayland benchmark.

Wayland vs Mir.
          XWayland vs XMir.
          There aren't that many things that fully support Mir and Wayland at the same time, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post
            There aren't that many things that fully support Mir and Wayland at the same time, yet.
            There are several people here who think they are elite hackers, why won't one of YOU port an older game to Mir/Wayland so there CAN be a benchmark. I read that xmbc was ported to Mir and Wayland over a single weekend.... one of you SUPER ELITE HACKERS should be able to do it in hours right?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              There are several people here who think they are elite hackers, why won't one of YOU port an older game to Mir/Wayland so there CAN be a benchmark. I read that xmbc was ported to Mir and Wayland over a single weekend.... one of you SUPER ELITE HACKERS should be able to do it in hours right?
              I am quite a novice, I am still dreaming of having such knowledge. I am still learning my way though :P

But, I guess my point is you're not comparing the same thing anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post
                I am quite a novice, I am still dreaming of having such knowledge. I am still learning my way though :P

But, I guess my point is you're not comparing the same thing anymore...
                They definitively aren't. As far as my understanding goes, XMir will run exactly like XWayland, in that it will run only applications within Mir itself, but as it is at the moment, its really apples and oranges. Running a whole desktop environment vs running one application is two entirely different things. Once Ubuntu has Unity 8 finished, ie: a DE that actually runs natively in Mir, then we'll get application mode in XMir finished as well.

I still wish someone with experience in porting would convert some games to be Mir and Wayland supporting so it could be benchmarked. If someone talked to Michael, and ported a game or two he uses, I bet he'd at least credit that person in the Phoronix benchmark suite.

EDIT: Michael, if you reading this, offer cash prizes for porting games you use to Mir and Wayland. Small prizes $500? But prizes get people motivated.

Comment

They definitively aren't. As far as my understanding goes, XMir will run exactly like XWayland, in that it will run only applications within Mir itself, but as it is at the moment, its really apples and oranges. Running a whole desktop environment vs running one application is two entirely different things. Once Ubuntu has Unity 8 finished, ie: a DE that actually runs natively in Mir, then we'll get application mode in XMir finished as well.

I still wish someone with experience in porting would convert some games to be Mir and Wayland supporting so it could be benchmarked. If someone talked to Michael, and ported a game or two he uses, I bet he'd at least credit that person in the Phoronix benchmark suite.

EDIT: Michael, if you reading this, offer cash prizes for porting games you use to Mir and Wayland. Small prizes $500? But prizes get people motivated.
                  There's already glmark2 that works on X, Wayland and Mir.

But don't expect a huge difference for a 30 fps game : driver performance is much more important than display server.
                  Last edited by mannerov; 30 August 2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Michael, if you reading this, offer cash prizes for porting games you use to Mir and Wayland. Small prizes $500? But prizes get people motivated.
                    I think that for simplicity, you could offer these small cash prices (let's say a small number of them, like 100?) on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
                      I think that for simplicity, you could offer these small cash prices (let's say a small number of them, like 100?) on your own.
                      Lol, no, I don't need games ported for my game/system bench marking tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X