Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite Bypass Support Sharply Bumps XMir's Performance

Phoronix: Composite Bypass Support Sharply Bumps XMir's Performance

Composition bypass support finally landed this morning into the mainline Mir code-base ahead of the Ubuntu 13.10 feature-freeze. With the feature being merged and packages already being pushed into the 13.10 archive, benchmarks at Phoronix have already been conducted. The benchmarks to share this afternoon are of the Mir/XMir packages from yesterday against the Mir packages today with composite bypass support. Lastly, there are benchmarks of a pure X.Org Server running on the same hardware to look at the performance impact and current (reduced) overhead of Mir.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news for XMir users
    As expected, it's still somewhat slower than pure X.org, but better is better.
    I'll test it later on my testbox and give my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Good news for XMir users
      As expected, it's still somewhat slower than pure X.org, but better is better.
      I'll test it later on my testbox and give my opinion.
      IIRC, the devs have said XWayland shouldn't be slower, and CAN be a bit faster.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        This Xmir Thing is just Xorg the real Xwayland has not been developed that we know of

Nice test Xmir has taken up to a 40% hit on some games and it jump's all over the place on most games this is a real Shame for Ubuntu users Xorg>Xmir

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          That's for apps, not for DEs. For DEs there can only be overhead, because you are actually using almost all of the features of X.org (particularly, compositing, that can be completely bypassed for apps, since they are perceived as fullscreen for the nested X server). For apps, you can skip a lot of work that is actually done in your real display solution and which handling by X is inefficient.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            This Xmir Thing is just Xorg the real Xwayland has not been developed that we know of

Nice test Xmir has taken up to a 40% hit on some games and it jump's all over the place on most games this is a real Shame for Ubuntu users Xorg>Xmir
            Actually Xmir is based mostly on code taken from Xwayland and there have been suggestions that large chunks of the code would be shared between the two if it weren't for Ubuntu's NIH syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
              Actually Xmir is based mostly on code taken from Xwayland and there have been suggestions that large chunks of the code would be shared between the two if it weren't for Ubuntu's NIH syndrome.
              yes i know all about the shitty Xwayland thats really Xorg 1.12 thats a waiting patches

That's for apps, not for DEs. For DEs there can only be overhead, because you are actually using almost all of the features of X.org (particularly, compositing, that can be completely bypassed for apps, since they are perceived as fullscreen for the nested X server). For apps, you can skip a lot of work that is actually done in your real display solution and which handling by X is inefficient.
              Xwayland was not made to run DE's and Xwayland atm is shit i don't even know why the Ubuntu developers was thinking this this would be a good idea to fork it but thats Canonical for you

Comment

Xwayland was not made to run DE's and Xwayland atm is shit i don't even know why the Ubuntu developers was thinking this this would be a good idea to fork it but thats Canonical for you
                I'm aware, LG, I just addressed the claim.

Comment

I'm aware, LG, I just addressed the claim.
                  you know the real Xwayland once it's developed will run multiple Xwayland servers on Wayland this will remove the overhead

Comment

you know the real Xwayland once it's developed will run multiple Xwayland servers on Wayland this will remove the overhead
                    Yes, I am aware. I just contrasted what the poster said to what is supposed to happen. He says Wayland devs expected XWayland to perform better than pure X.org, but they actually said that running apps on XWayland with a native Wayland compositor should perform better. Neither XWayland or XMir will ever beat clean X.org for DEs, because X.org is still doing the hard compositing (and others, like input handling, which for apps will be always taken by the app as far as the X server can see) work in such a context. I know every app, when using XWayland with apps instead of the misuse Canonical is doing with XMir, will spawn it's own rootless server, for which the app will own all the input and "screen" surface, allowing to ignore any input handling and bypass any compositing inside this server, and THUS being faster than clean X.org because Wayland is more efficient in such tasks.

Comment

Working...
                    X