Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Web To Abandon Google Search

Phoronix: GNOME Web To Abandon Google Search

The GNOME Web Browser will no longer be using Google as its default search engine but they have struck a deal to use DuckDuckGo as its new search engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Translation: Google wasn't paying Gnome any money to be their default search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      Translation: Google wasn't paying Gnome any money to be their default search engine.
      I think it is more a privacy thing after the PRISM scandal.

Liking GNOME or not, we must remember that it's free software. And free software respects privacy a lot, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post

Liking GNOME or not, we must remember that it's free software. And free software respects privacy a lot, among other things.

Good point and I agree this is the main reason. A lot of people who care are probably going to slowly tip toe away from google and microsoft now

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post

The company is based in Pennsylvania, United States. You can be pretty sure that there will be no more privacy from the NSA than with Google.

Comment

Flamebait: something that is hardly used switches to use something else that is hardly used.

*puts on asbestos pants

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              The company is based in Pennsylvania, United States. You can be pretty sure that there will be no more privacy from the NSA than with Google.
              I disagree. You make it sound like there is zero difference when it comes to that sort of privacy violation. I don't believe it is as black and white as that. User privacy occupies a very prominent position in DDG's business model. Because of this, DDG stands to lose more money from privacy violations than other similar service providers. Thus, I would expect that DDG would fight harder (aka, spend more money) to protect user privacy than service providers for whom user privacy is not as integral to business success. That does not mean that DDG is immune to violations of user privacy perpetrated by governments (or perpetrated by DDG itself due to court order). But I think that that extra effort should make some small amount of difference, and hence I don't see it as so black and white.

Unfortunately, I find DDG search results to be of a significantly worse quality than Google search results. I tried to use DDG as my primary search provider for three months. I couldn't stand it. I'd search in DDG, find myself disappointed in the results, try Google and get what I was looking for. What's the point of using DDG first if I'm likely to end up having to use Google anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                Unfortunately, I find DDG search results to be of a significantly worse quality than Google search results. I tried to use DDG as my primary search provider for three months. I couldn't stand it. I'd search in DDG, find myself disappointed in the results, try Google and get what I was looking for. What's the point of using DDG first if I'm likely to end up having to use Google anyway?
                More privacy -> less user data, habits and preferences collected -> lower search results quality.

BTW another alternative to DDG is https://ixquick.com

Comment

Who the hell uses it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    There is still a difference: With Google doing all user tracking in-house (from Analytics, to DoubleClick, to Web Search, to YouTube) the NSA gets finely distilled user data.
                    Sure, DDG can't do magic (just like any other non-US search engine can't) and prevent and prevent NSA?s protocoling of the raw data stream through carriers (although DDG uses SSL by default) but at least they are not helping them by serving them readily cooked data from sources all over the web.

Comment

Working...
                    X