Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composition Bypass Support Lands To Speed Up Mir

Phoronix: Composition Bypass Support Lands To Speed Up Mir

Composition bypass support for Mir has landed, which is one of the performance critical features for Mir. Composition bypass can substantially improve the performance of OpenGL games running on XMir now when they are being run in full-screen mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So even with composition bypass XMir will still be noticeably worse in Saucy. Smooth move, Canonical. I'm sure your user-base will be happy.

Comment

Must have this in Wayland + Weston!!!!
      Seriously this is a must have feature!

Comment

It kind of sucks that Canonical focuses so much on Intel GPUs and doesn't appear to really care about AMD/Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
          So even with composition bypass XMir will still be noticeably worse in Saucy. Smooth move, Canonical. I'm sure your user-base will be happy.
          Noticeably? The performance impact is so small that you wouldn't notice the difference at all. Plus, there are more performance enhancements coming down the road as well.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
            Still this optimization is pretty nice, because optimizing XMir means better support for legacy applications, so when Mir is ready to fully replace X we will still have decent performance on legacy applications running threw XMir (for now they are using XMir to render even the DE but that's until unity gets fully ported to Mir. Does Wayland developers have optimized XWayland enough?

The reality is that many applications even games aren't going to be ported to wayland/mir rapidly (or ported at all) so is good to have some decent performance on the XWayland/XMir compatibility layer.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              Must have this in Wayland + Weston!!!!
              Seriously this is a must have feature!
              I think this is something that would be handled in the compositor, not Wayland itself.

And I am still not clear why people expect Weston to be a full-featured compositor, it was never intended to be and it doesn't look like any DE will use it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                Noticeably? The performance impact is so small that you wouldn't notice the difference at all. Plus, there are more performance enhancements coming down the road as well.
                no you will notice a huge difference when a game that play's at 30fps on xorg only plays at 23fps on Xmir Humans can tell a difference all the way up to 120fps+ this is a slap in the face to all of Ubuntu users

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Still this optimization is pretty nice, because optimizing XMir means better support for legacy applications, so when Mir is ready to fully replace X we will still have decent performance on legacy applications running threw XMir (for now they are using XMir to render even the DE but that's until unity gets fully ported to Mir. Does Wayland developers have optimized XWayland enough?

The reality is that many applications even games aren't going to be ported to wayland/mir rapidly (or ported at all) so is good to have some decent performance on the XWayland/XMir compatibility layer.
                this needs to be faster than Xorg there is no point for it not to be
                XWayland is shit atm we're just waiting for Xorg to turn into Xwayland as said in the Wiki
                Last edited by LinuxGamer; 29 August 2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                  Great. They're almost there. =D
                  lets see how well DOTA 2 run's on it ohh wait nvm....

Comment

The strange thing is... I actually prefer to run games without bypassing the composition.
                    Allows me to multi-task without funny stuff.

From my point of view, this is just a "fix" for benchmarking, and nothing to do with actual experience improvement.

Comment

Working...
                    X